HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Billboards  (Read 955 times)

ShaolinNinja

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Billboards
« on: May 07, 13, 04:38:27 PM »

Can billboards have collision?

There is an option in the properties, but I always can walk through them. Hope I didn't overlook something. I looked in the wiki and on the forum.

uexilon

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Billboards
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 13, 11:20:05 AM »

I'm not sure about it either, but I don't think billboards have collision. Normaly you would use billboards for objects that are far away so the user would never be able to interact with them. Or you would use it in form of Heightmaps billboards to create grass and flowers. If you need collision you should go with modeled assets instead.

May I ask what you're trying to do? Maybe there's another approach...

ShaolinNinja

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 13, 01:49:42 PM »

I tried 2 separate uses. One was a simple fence to enclose an area, the other was wrapped around the edge of a height map. You can't fall off the edge of a height map but you still drop a little and are required to jump back to walk around. I wanted to prevent the player from falling at all.

uexilon

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 13, 02:24:16 PM »

Okay.. that's something you'd do with static assets.

To make a "END" there are a few possibilities. You can either use buildings or walls (also static assets), create a hill/slope which the player can't cross. You could also simply put "collision only" objects around your heightmap (also know as invincible walls.. a box created in max with 10 polys or something like this http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Hero_Export#Collision_Only_Asset. You may combine that with billboards to get what you wanted ;) ).

How you prevent the player from falling, walking, looking out of a heightmap depends quite a lot on your design. How do you want to set up your world, areas and so on. Most mmo's I know use the "hill/slope" trick. I think that's what you call sandbox ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 13, 05:06:36 PM by uexilon »

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 13, 05:01:20 PM »

it does seem a shame they cannot be used with collision , and a waste of polys to throw away on the "edge" of an area that could easily be edged of with a billboard wall