HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: World Building Software  (Read 1326 times)

GazthSonika

• World Owners
    • View Profile
World Building Software
« on: May 11, 13, 04:14:27 PM »

Hi all, I'm looking for advice on a high quality world builder to use.  The one that comes with HE is alright, but I'm looking for something more, however I'm not sure what limits I'll run into with the engine if I start importing high quality landscapes from programs like Terragen 2, or World Builder 4 Pro.  Would I need to significantly scale down my textures, the terrain size, etc, to allow my world to run smoothly, and would that still result in a better looking,  final environment vs using the HE world builder?

This is sort of what I'm trying to create: http://xfrog.com/newsfeed/wp-content/uploads/frankb-volcano_valley_2009_by_nwda_resize_big.jpg

Cheers,

GS
« Last Edit: May 11, 13, 04:23:40 PM by GazthSonika »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: World Building Software
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 13, 06:05:50 PM »

Our tools are some of the best in the business. If you're talking about automated processes, then you can use any 3rd party tool you'd like to generate heightmap data and import it into the engine. Otherwise, if you had some specific needs and didn't want to use heightmaps, you could just model out your world in sections.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 13, 06:45:43 PM »

Though Cooper might think it's the best tools in the business.... From an outside view on it, and having seen and tested other solutions myself, I personally see no reason why you should make terrains in other programs, as the tools provided are actually one of the best.

That terrain you gave an example of is photo-realistic, and with good artists that know what they are doing, together with good use of terrain sculpting, as well as the heightmap occlusion functions, that scene is doable :)

HeroEngine provides all the tools, but even a golden hammer will not smash any nails in wood without a good user.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 13, 07:47:14 PM »

can't believe this but i'm about to sound like HE-Cooper.

performance is always going to be a juggling act, between what looks great and what your clients can run.
There is a fine line to walk when it comes to MMO's.

while the scene in your image can easily be ran by most people's computer, when it needs to ramp up and manage loading 60 people in that same area, deal with combat data, and such then things become a different story.

You can manage this a bit by changing how many people load into the clients area to be dealt with, but once again a balance act. Too short and players complain people are popping into view, to long and your client is dealing with more people than it might be able to handle.

So while I didn't answer your question. I hope I provided some thought.

But in regards to using other world builders a bunch of us all do it, just be mindful that you need to practice and get the scaling difference worked out between your program and hero first. Most have export options for different scales and they will all work, but sometimes it can take your normal world and make it 6 times as big in hero or smaller depending on how the 3rd party export does it's scaling.

Now in regards to the tools / how the HE editor is. It's extremely capable, but does lack some gimicky tools that are helpful / present in other world builders. Also some of the other world builders do a really good job with large area auto creation to give you an easy jumping off point. With that said though :  learn to master the hero tools, and here is why.

You build your worlds out in world builder for example, you import them in, you place some trees, foliage, buildings, after a month down the road you go hmm we need to change the landscape a bit, now you have to go back to world builder, and export again, but wait you don't have any of those things there for reference, so you raise that one spot, move that hill, get it looking much better. import it and realize that hill was your hut.

My suggestion is if you have the tools aka aren't buying them, it's fine to use the 3rd party to quickly build a base map to start with, from there use the hero tools to make it fit into the game. Cause that tree would look so much cooler with that little bit of earth on one side, or that river bank needs to have a different grade so your characters don't get snagged on it. Or that hill is just too steep for the player physics to go up. a billion reasons why you will want to use the tools and learn them well, and if you learn them well beyond auto area creation, the 3rd parties don't offer anything hero can't do.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

GazthSonika

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 13, 08:05:18 PM »

Alright, thanks all.  I think the answer I was looking for came from keeperofstars, thanks for clarifying it so well.

Cheers,

GS

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 13, 11:10:04 AM »

You don't need another world building program. You can make the image you shown in Hero, or at least I can, but that is with over a decade worth of experience in 3d. One must learn the Hero tools and understand world building, textures and lighting from a 3d standpoint. I do recommend using third party programs to generate heightmaps, but that's about it. Good luck.