HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Initial Download and Setup Problems  (Read 2379 times)

Matt_Griebner

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Initial Download and Setup Problems
« on: May 05, 13, 05:55:57 PM »

I am having a lot of issues and questions as I'm trying to download and get HeroEngine initially set up. I've checked setup instructions, wiki, google, you name it and can't figure out what the problems are or how to fix them.

First, I started downloading several things from the dashboard in order. I now have ArtSampleFiles.zip, HEROBLADEHC020.heal, and HeroEngineArtDepot.exe (I've apparently run this one already as it asks me if I want to Modify an existing install when I try to run it).

I also have HE Auto Launcher folder in my D/Program Files. When I try to run Launcher.exe it does seemingly nothing. When I try to run lnchupdr.exe I get the Error popup "LNCHUPDR:gUpdaterFile:"

Since none of these things seem to do anything I went back to the Dashboard and there was now a button that I don't think was there before that says "Install HeroEngine Launcher", which claims it will " INSTALL THE HEROBLADE. THE ART DEPOT, AND THE REPOSITORY BROWSER FOR YOUR WORLDS". When I click that button I get a java.net error "Error access denied ("java.net.S..." that appears inside the button instead of the Install text.

Should I just go ahead and ignore all that and try to go on downloading one or all of these files?

HeroEngine Art Pipeline Installer for Autodesk 3ds Max 2013 x86
HeroEngine Art Pipeline Installer for Autodesk 3ds Max 2013 x64
HeroEngine Art Pipeline Installer for Autodesk 3ds Max 2012 x64
HeroEngine Art Pipeline Installer for Autodesk 3ds Max 2012 x86
HeroEngine Art Pipeline Installer for Autodesk 3ds Max 2011 x64
HeroEngine Art Pipeline Installer for Autodesk 3ds Max 2011 x86
HeroEngine Art Pipeline Installer for Autodesk 3ds Max 2010 x64
HeroEngine Art Pipeline Installer for Autodesk 3ds Max 2010 x86
HeroEngine Art Tutorial Sample Files
HeroEngine Art Pipeline 2012.4 - Maya and Max 2010 & 2011
HeroEngine Art Pipeline 2013.3 - Maya and Max 2012 & 2013
Example Art

Do I need both the appropriate Pipeline Installer and Pipeline 2012.4? I have Max 2010 on XP is there no x32 bit option? Tech specs said this works with XP SP3?

Thanks for the help. I'm very confused and frustrated.  :(
« Last Edit: May 05, 13, 05:57:56 PM by Matt_Griebner »

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: Initial Download and Setup Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 13, 06:08:58 PM »

You can use X86 for 32 bit set ups.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 13, 03:24:43 AM »

Make sure you are reading and following the setup instructions. Beyond that, I'm not sure exactly what the issue is your asking about. I would ignore any of the art pipeline setup right now until you are more comfortable with using the HeroBlade.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 13, 01:14:49 PM »

On the landing page of the dashboard, under "Install the HeroEngine Launcher" it does state, "THE LAUNCHER DOES NOTHING ITSELF BUT IS USED TO RUN OTHER HEROENGINE PROGRAMS".  But agreed, it probably could be more clear in step 2 as to what to do with the heal file once that is downloaded.

After you have the launcher installed, heal files will be associated with it.  You need to then double-click the heal file to have the launcher install it.

An analogy is MS Word.  If you only start Word, it has nothing to do.  But if you double-click a Word document then it opens Word using that document.  If you try to run the launcher by itself, it has nothing to launch.  The heal files are the key.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

Matt_Griebner

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 13, 01:22:51 AM »

Thanks, I appreciate the help. After reading what you wrote I got most all of it working. I downloaded the X86 as you mentioned and the .heal files have launched as they should for HeroBlade and HeroEngine Repository Browser. I caught that line about the launcher simply allowing others to run but didn't know what you then did to make them run.

I downloaded "HeroEngine Art Pipeline Installer for Autodesk 3ds Max 2010 x86". I'm still unclear if I also need to download the "HeroEngine Art Pipeline 2012.4 - Maya and Max 2010 & 2011" file as well or if that's just another optional Installer download that I'm not going to select?

I've also got the exporter set up in Max and got Repository Browser up and running. However, the browser doesn't look the same as the wiki version, the whole FIRESTORM_REPOSITORY section on the left side isn't there at all. And the tutorials on the wiki, as well as any youtube tutorial I can find, don't seem to mention how to Synchronize the two sets of files so your local folders are created to match all the folders (and files?) in the online repository. Maybe I should just hit the synch button at the top of the program with both HE folders selected? But I don't want to mess something up accidently by pressing buttons I'm not sure about and cause damage to the files in the repository (maybe the repository saves iterations anyway?).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the Repository Browser does. I thought it would mirror the repository folder structure to your local drive as an initial step, so that you could then put files in all the right folders, ensuring all your things are linked correctly, then click some sort of upload button. Yet nowhere can I find an explanation of that first step of how to connect the two.

Thanks guys.