HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Path follower with child  (Read 1739 times)

ShaolinNinja

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Path follower with child
« on: May 14, 13, 11:40:31 AM »

I recently made a path that wrapped around an object. I then created a follower and then made the follower a parent and gave it a child (a cylinder white box from the white box menu). The cylinder moved as I wanted with the follower, but when I gave the follower 2 more children of the same type the frame rate dropped drastically (8 to 20 FPS). Having more than 1 child moving on the screen seems too extensive for the system to handle. Is this not what the pathing system was meant to do, or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 13, 04:26:32 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Path follower with child
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 13, 12:11:49 PM »

Any error messages? Are any of the path followers active physics objects?

ShaolinNinja

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 13, 01:47:55 PM »

No errors in the console window. Both the children are static using default shape physics.

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 13, 05:08:41 PM »

In the past.
I have made a path, added a follower and made the tree stump a child of the follower.
My frame rate dropped to a really low number too.

I don't remember what it dropped to, but It went back up after removing the child.

uexilon

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 13, 05:30:05 PM »

Deactivating physics on the child object should improve frame rate. The physic calculation doesn't really work on those objects, so it doesn't matter. Set the object you use as a child to No_shape. Should do it.

If you plan on using it with physic I think I got it working as long as it doesn't collide with the heightmap..

Didn't test it out thought. That's just what was still in my mind from when I tested some effects and worked with paths and objects.

ShaolinNinja

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 13, 09:34:06 PM »

I tried turning off physics But it didn't change the frame rate very much and I need to be able to stand on the objects. I wanted to be able to give custom paths without having to animate each object individually in maya.

uexilon

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 13, 02:30:37 AM »

Okay that's rather strange..

I'll check it today.. The test area should still be around so it doesn't consume much time :)
I'll need to check it anyway for some game content.

Edit:

hmm.. Tested it with whitebox meshes.. The only thing I can see is that the frame rate drops over a longer period. Sometimes 20-30 frames.

Without scripting I wasn't able to create a object (that moves along a path) where the character wouldn't fall off.
« Last Edit: May 15, 13, 04:10:43 AM by uexilon »

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 13, 05:38:32 AM »

I tried turning off physics But it didn't change the frame rate very much and I need to be able to stand on the objects. I wanted to be able to give custom paths without having to animate each object individually in maya.

Custom pathways with animations will not work anyways, since the physics needs to be updated on the server. So you would be required to move the object through code.

With the path follower:
What we did in our selection screen was to set the physics to cube; NO_PHYSICS didn't really help, but the cube of the physics did the trick.

Make sure you also set the object's physics properties to dynamic.

ShaolinNinja

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 13, 02:33:49 PM »

For some reason those settings work great! Not sure why the object doesn't fall with Dynamic physics, but it got the job done. Thanks for all the help.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 13, 02:56:43 PM »

Dynamic means moving, kinematic means effects like falling (beware, this is only client side, you need to replicate it to each client if all clients have to see this effect, but it is quite heavy)