HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Resolved] Mass Tree placement?  (Read 4794 times)

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
Re: Mass Tree placement?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 13, 03:40:08 AM »

Make distributions of trees as auto snap groups in the library.
You can either randomize their scale and rotation before adding them, or you can use the asset panel or editor selection to later select them and randomize.
you can use the dynamic placement tool to spam placement, or use the standard tool and be able to rotate them as a group in world space as well, or you can rotate them all in model space.

Personally, forests are a bad idea to just plunk down and randomize, as you are either sacrificing gameplay or performance, if you aren't making specific decisions, but that's just my experience.

I am agreeing with Cooper and Jrome90 here as well. Placing large number of random trees might sound as a very good solution, but there are factors to consider.

When using this tool, I spent also time on re-ordering and cleaning the area up when used. In the end, it DOES save us time, and is a wonderful addition that made my life a lot easier. But use with caution, it's easy to place 800 trees at the same time, but it doesn't mean you should.

Depending on the heightmap and visibility, I am manually even adjusting the LODs of all trees. Hence why the name of this tool is "Asset Placement Tool" and not "Massive Placement Tool".

Charlizd

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 13, 04:01:43 AM »

Well i'm not talking about making a dense forest per say just want to limit the amount o f time i have to spend with being nit picky and placing trees 1 by 1.
Purely just to save time.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 13, 11:56:44 PM »

I think a simple ability to plop down speedtrees in quick session would be a bit nice.

You already have the random scale and rotate, albeit limited in ability (some additional configurations would be nice sorta like the configu for snap to grid.

Anyways, but being able to select a speed tree then click on the ground as you move around and have it plop them down, quickly would be nice, kinda like how painting dynamic meshes works, but with speed trees / library assets.

The random assets placement tool does this nicely. Build your "template" spec and then start laying trees down in a quick point and drop fashion. I can build a whole forest area (note not carpet bombing it, but placing trees where I need them to build a forest appearance, very quickly. Cause I just run around the area tapping enter when I want a tree, and it's done move on.

Trying to remember if Hero lets you "repeat" place library assets without double clicking from the library or spawning a new instance.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 13, 05:26:05 AM »

I think a simple ability to plop down speedtrees in quick session would be a bit nice.

You already have the random scale and rotate, albeit limited in ability (some additional configurations would be nice sorta like the configu for snap to grid.

Anyways, but being able to select a speed tree then click on the ground as you move around and have it plop them down, quickly would be nice, kinda like how painting dynamic meshes works, but with speed trees / library assets.

The random assets placement tool does this nicely. Build your "template" spec and then start laying trees down in a quick point and drop fashion. I can build a whole forest area (note not carpet bombing it, but placing trees where I need them to build a forest appearance, very quickly. Cause I just run around the area tapping enter when I want a tree, and it's done move on.

Trying to remember if Hero lets you "repeat" place library assets without double clicking from the library or spawning a new instance.

Exactly how the Asset Placement Tool is being used; I prefer it greatly over the library functionality, as it is faster, gives me more options automatically, and allows me to make groups of trees or objects that belong together. Did I mention that if you right-click, a new random scene is being created?

You can make certain commands iin the library to also have this made possible, and maaaaaybe with certain objects [Once they are duplicated, randomize scale and rotation again]. Not sure though, I love this tool so I cannot be bothered anymore :D

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 13, 12:31:36 PM »

While still a bit of work, I just use the duplicate function while in dynamic placement mode.

I click on the random scale/rotate buttons, then click on an already placed tree (or other asset), and instead of left clicking to place, I hit ctrl-D for duplicate........this will place a tree in the spot, as well as keep another tree queued up. 

Move a bit, ctrl-D, move, ctrl-D, move, ctrl-D (don't left click or else you'll need to select the asset again).  Keep a decent distance, and grab a different tree and you can fill in more gaps.  Once you have a nice section going, grab em all and duplicate the whole bunch and slap them nearby.  Don't forget bushes and other forest materials and can do this same process with any asset.

Auto ground snap set to True, though dynamic place will snap it there - just a precaution if you choose.

Charlizd

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 03, 13, 06:36:03 PM »

You nailed it on the head, this is what i am reffering to, just like painting with the dynamic mesh :)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 03, 13, 07:20:38 PM »

Yes, that exists, using the dynamic placement tool and CTRL D.

Charlizd

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 03, 13, 07:29:55 PM »

Yes, that exists, using the dynamic placement tool and CTRL D.

I am familiar with this method as this is how i have been doing it, but i think what we mean is say picking a tree and just painting like we do with the grass, so for example we would pick say a Pine tree, adjust the size of the placement tool (smaller or larger) and then paint and it would place several trees at once (dependant on how big we made the sizing tool) as opposed to using Ctrl-d and still placing one tree at a time. we could even further that with adjusting variations e.t.c, exactly like the paint dynamic mesh tool but with trees.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 03, 13, 09:07:03 PM »

Yeah, you don't want to do that for large things like trees or buildings. Paint brush application there would be bad. It would create far too much overhead. Be selective about where to place large complicated models, you'll be glad you did when it comes time to actually ship and tune a game.
Pages: 1 [2]