HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sapphire m: You are currently editing a play instance...  (Read 2828 times)

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile

You are currently editing a play instance. Your changes will not persist! This is the popup message i am getting when teleporting from area to area. I didn't notice it before, seems it was introduced with the newest sapphire release.

Anyone else seen this or is it just me?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Sapphire m: You are currently editing a play instance...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 13, 03:51:02 PM »

Are you in a play instance, or is this happening in an edit instance. The former is good, the latter is bad.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 13, 04:17:13 PM »

Play instance. It's just wierd, since i haven't seen them before. Maybe some piece of code i added generates edit requests, and previously it didn't.

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 13, 04:20:41 PM »

I thought it was just a nifty pop up added with latest update, though not in patch notes.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 13, 05:16:21 PM »

We made, I thought last update, but apparently was still sitting around, that in the editor, you get warned in play instances that edits will not be saved. I, personally, had had too many terrible experiences where I lost an hour of world building after logging into a play area to check something like AI pathing or spawning, and then forgetting to go back to the edit instance.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 13, 08:27:26 PM »

Yes, I have seen it a few times since the last update. It happens mostly when you add in items or move things around in a non edit instance.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 13, 03:36:21 PM »

I noticed that i get it every time i teleport to a new play instance of a Clean Test area. This has to be wrong, or?

jcsmith562

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 13, 02:11:26 AM »

It always used to happen when editing in play instances, but I've been getting it recently for no reason, possibly just by entering them.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 13, 04:25:28 AM »

Yes, they seem to happen in the Clean Test area, every time zoning into another new instance.

« Last Edit: Jun 07, 13, 08:04:34 PM by Thazager »

HE-CHRISTOPHER

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 13, 08:23:17 AM »

I noticed that i get it every time i teleport to a new play instance of a Clean Test area. This has to be wrong, or?

Some types of changes in the underlying area data formats require the engine to update an area.  If the edit instance of the clean test area has not had those changes made, each time you entered a new play instance of clean test one or more edit commands might be sent attempting to perform the update.

Thus triggering the edit alert box.

Christopher Larsen
CTO
HeroEngine

jcsmith562

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 13, 12:43:15 PM »

I can understand the reason it may be happening, but it is very annoying and never was an issue prior to the latest patch. We have it happening all the time at the Character Selection screen in our game. Hopefully it gets resolved in a future patch.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 13, 12:58:59 PM »

Perhaps we have some custom code that triggers this? I have been trying to search for it, but haven't seen anything that jumps out. And it seems that i am getting it at random.

Perhaps the custom code is the reason it cannot be reproduced by the HE developers?
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 13, 01:08:05 PM by AWW_boss »

HE-CHRISTOPHER

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 13, 01:30:33 PM »

I can understand the reason it may be happening, but it is very annoying and never was an issue prior to the latest patch. We have it happening all the time at the Character Selection screen in our game. Hopefully it gets resolved in a future patch.

There is nothing we could patch here unless you have something unique going on.

Have you logged into the edit instance of character selection to make sure it has had any necessary modifications made and persisted to it?

Optionally, it is possible you are performing some operation that is triggering the warning...in which case that should be addressed.  You can view the edit messages that are being applied using the /heedit debug command and then subscribing to the edit channel using /debug subscribe Edit  (if I recall correctly).

Christopher Larsen
CTO
HeroEngine

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 13, 04:48:15 PM »

Here is a picture that is most likely a proof it's an error that you introduced with the new release. The picture is taken from the space reference.

I am working as a software developer , and i have a lots of contacts with the customers, and i can confirm that my initial reaction is to dismiss their whining as a misunderstanding of functionality. But this was a problem that was really really really easy to reproduce and you could have tried to reproduce it. I have problems to report in my queue that are far more complex then this...how can i expect any support with those, if it is so hard to convince you in something as simple as this?

I don't mean to be disrespectful, i would just like if we could all be better.

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 13, 04:54:25 PM by AWW_boss »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 13, 05:28:54 PM »

AWBoss, you could try the Unity forums where developers don't respond directly to developers, or the Unreal Forums where you have to pay for support. :-)

Our engineers go out of their way to help indie developers here, and I'd appreciate it if you kept a more respectful tone with them. Frequently they provide support on their free time, so regardless of whether you feel you are owed it, it will more than likely simply discourage engineers from looking at your issues if you respond to them with what I felt was an unnecessary attitude.

Professional support contracts for the HeroEngine begin at 45 thousand USD, if you'd like to purchase one please contact me directly, and you can yell and kick and complain to our engineers all you'd like.  :-[
Pages: [1] 2