HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: PS4 X86  (Read 2469 times)

Lateris

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Obscuri Soft
PS4 X86
« on: Jun 12, 13, 10:51:54 AM »

Now that the consoles have announced X86- what do you as developers thin of this shift? I read SOE is moving Planetside 2 over to the PS4. And EQ Next will also be on the PS4.  In addition Elder Scrolls Online is releasing on the PS4 as well. What do you guys/gals think this will do for MMO's in general?
.-=[{Gamer}]=-.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
Re: PS4 X86
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 13, 04:35:14 PM »

IMO it should be pretty good, there was a lack of memory in PS3/xbox360 that just amazes me how good things look with what they are given to work with. Most MMOs aren't bleeding edge when it comes to graphics and the amount of people playing WoW on systems that would give me a headache playing for 5 minutes who probably will have one of the next consoles should help.

The bad thing I guess would be UI/control systems as they are now for many cross-platform games that are more designed for a console than a computer, but that is mostly a matter of putting the effort in for both.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 13, 08:16:02 PM »

The bad thing I guess would be UI/control systems as they are now for many cross-platform games that are more designed for a console than a computer, but that is mostly a matter of putting the effort in for both.

DCUO is an example of how not to do it - it's pretty much a console title with PC as an afterthought.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 13, 09:21:18 PM »

I played EQ for about 10 years. Many from the game were leaving for one thing or another, and they lost many of the PC population. That might add to why they are adding in the console community. They are trying to keep the game going, unlike NCsoft just dropping CoH.

Lateris

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Obscuri Soft
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 13, 02:39:15 PM »

I have to wonder how the UI from the PC games will transfer over to the consoles controller in terms of usability. Say if Eve Online was on the PS4 could you imagine not using a keyboard? Just how much depth can a UI have on the console compared to a PC\OS X\Linux  game?
.-=[{Gamer}]=-.

Jrome90

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 13, 04:57:32 PM »

I have to wonder how the UI from the PC games will transfer over to the consoles controller in terms of usability. Say if Eve Online was on the PS4 could you imagine not using a keyboard? Just how much depth can a UI have on the console compared to a PC\OS X\Linux  game?

You could possibly use a keyboard, and maybe a mouse too.

Lateris

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Obscuri Soft
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 13, 12:17:36 AM »

I have tried that with Dust 514 on my Ps3. Loved it. Dust 514 is made with the UT III Engine. So then I have to ask - can this engine  make it on the Ps4!?
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 13, 02:49:37 PM by Lateris »
.-=[{Gamer}]=-.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 13, 01:36:58 AM »

eh, i think it will just end up doing what it has done so far. continue to dumb games down more and more.

developers will keep making GUI's that fit within console controllers and leave out all the ways a game should be played with. They will bottleneck game play to fit into consoles, which even to date haven't really shown great power when dealing with MMO style games. Their architeture for the cpu's and gpu's are finely tuned to be great at games where they don't have a billion custom character issues to deal with.

What I mean is it's one thing to run madden NFL at super high def, with amazing quality, every player has the same uniform with a simple stamp override for numbers, animations can all be pre-cached, and much more. This has been the consoles advantage for a while graphic wise. Finite development, with limited character influence.

This will be the same for the mmo's they try and push out to consoles. Limited choices, limited control options, and limited design concepts.

now with that said do I think developers could work to break out of the box, possibly, will they though? no why cause they are trying to cater to the console group, which tend to be "non-hardcore" gamers. Yes I know super hardcore FPSers but any FPS person worth their name plays on console for the precision. So for most trying to push a MMO to a console will just be a quick lived woo we did it. But for longevity you probably should think of them as a 2nd option after release. Cause consoles will give your game a wam bam thank you mam and move on. They won't be there month after month dropping cash on you. But it's a choice to make for every game, to decide. Just need to really think about would there be any long term positive.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Lateris

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Obscuri Soft
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 13, 03:27:59 PM »

I think you summed it up- where is the potential for individuality or performance. Take Dust 514 which I do enjoy, but when you compare the graphics where the engine is running UT III or in UDK on a PC compared to the PS3 its like night and day with textures, lighting, etc. The uniforms are all the same. On a larger scale I get that CCP had to scale it for server performance. Plus they really achieved some new concepts with this game and how it links with Eve. Great convo -
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 13, 02:10:02 PM by Lateris »
.-=[{Gamer}]=-.