HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Parenting without rotation  (Read 2035 times)

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
Parenting without rotation
« on: Jun 12, 13, 08:55:41 PM »

I don't think there is an option to do this yet, but thought I would ask just in case I am missing it. We recently been working on adding platforms and one of things I am running into is by default when you parent it to the path follower it takes to rotation of the path follower as well. In the cases of cameras this is desired, but in the case of a giant floating block it would be better if it didn't rotate toward the direction it was going so the platform would move properly, but wouldn't receive any rotation updates. I tried disabling the spleen to try this, but all the settings I tried it pretty much just wigged out and spun around. We have the update mechanism on the controller to handle the player's position and movement while on the platform and next will need to tackle keeping the position in sync, but this piece I am not seeing a way around at least in a clean manner.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: Parenting without rotation
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 13, 09:09:19 AM »

If you can get the position of the path follower, you could grab its position at timer ticks and then manually set only the position of the platform.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 13, 05:42:34 PM »

Yeah, I guess it is always a possibility to add in a per frame update to take care of it, I figured it was a tad bit faster doing it out of script though the way it is doing it now.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 13, 07:58:35 PM »

I guess the feature here is technically the ability to disable or enable which axis the object on a path matches it's rotation to, meaning you clan toggle x, y, and or z. I know we did a lot of work with patters in the space shooter, but I don't think we coded up that specifically. I'll add it to the task list, and we'll see how simple or not it is.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 13, 01:30:33 PM »

Yeah, a way to toggle on/off each axis would help. Thanks.