HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Developer Tips sub-form?  (Read 2064 times)

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Developer Tips sub-form?
« on: Jun 15, 13, 12:49:40 AM »

What do you guys think about having a developer tips forums. This would be a place to post gotchas, or those annoying fyi's, etc. That can end up making you work for hours before you catch that little oh duh, now I remember.

For example I was hashing out my walkrun animation scrips and asq files. I constantly kept thinking something was wrong with them, cause there was never a blend between walk and run, the npc just played the run animation every time. So kept thinking to myself that the blend wasn't working somewhere with my code.

Then i remember duh stupid the character controller by default always has the players running at full run speed, so the speed knob values never receive one for walk, so it never fires a walk.

You can however hold control down and make sure that your animation scripts are working cause even though you have walkrun for your animation to play it will let you walk while holding ctrl down.

I don't want to post a full on tutorial about something that is no bigger than that above statements, but I also don't want to just make a random post that gets pushed into oblivion or look like it's a question for help. It's a tid bit of information about a subject that is helpful but not a full tutorial.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
Re: Developer Tips sub-form?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 13, 03:11:01 AM »

Besides that, some wiki pages also need updating, which could be posted in there and marked as [Updated: 13/06/2013] with tips and tricks of other senior developers around here.

I second this.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 13, 03:46:55 AM »

Just adding a tip that I have found very useful for the last few weeks of scripting - seeing the text in the editor.

Shortly after seeing a video on some new scripting, and not being able to see any of the text in the tutorial, I got to wondering if the text color could actually be changed. Yes, it can.

Under Tools, Syntax Highlighting Editor are the color values the user can set. The Identifier is the basic text on screen, normally a lt grey in color, I set to 0,128,128. String default is the text inside strings, I also found hard to see. I set this to 64,64,0.
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 13, 03:55:23 AM »

There's a sticky 4 posts up from here where folks can post tips or tricks or edits. It's called "post your tips". :-)

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 13, 11:53:12 AM »

Much thanks Cooper we will put it to good use, and hopefully it will remove some frustrations for new developers.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 13, 01:59:34 PM »

It's been there for a year without any input, I was about to clean it out and just put the few posts into the common questions sections, but I'll leave it there for you to fill up if you want.