HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Difference between the game stages  (Read 1796 times)

zarmin

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Difference between the game stages
« on: Jun 18, 13, 03:15:37 AM »

Hello!

I've read the forum about multiple game stages.
  • development
  • alpha
  • beta
  • production

What is the difference between that stages? What are the requirements to advance a game from development to alpha stage?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 13, 04:50:08 PM by HE-Cooper »

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: Difference between the game stages
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 13, 09:06:48 AM »

development - aka you working to add all your systems and such in.
Alpha - the game is oh lets say 70% finished but you want to start some play testing with a  small group. Just to make sure things seem up and up on what you have got completed.

Beta - Game should actually be fully finished, this is something most triple A titles still don't understand, but game should be 100% complete and you are just trying to do a larger scale test of all systems before launch, to squash any unknown bugs, and make sure your servers are beefy enough to manage what you are tossing at them when under super load from users.

Production - Game is done, money is coming in, boxes being sold etc.

Now for the requirements, they vary, but basically when you think the game is ready for a real alpha test. (not just a few friends running around 2 areas you made) but a real alpha, where most of your systems are up and you need some real testing. You can get with the devs and they will work up a client install for you. At this point probably will need to talk to them about seats / licenses for the alpha participants, remember they have to pay for the bandwidth somehow.

For beta, once again will reach out to the Hero devs, at this point they will most likely give a firm hard review of your game. Especially in regards to how long in beta, how many players you intend to invite, what server configuration you will need, how the bills going to get paid, etc. At that point though you probably have that all figured out ahead of time.

Production, you cut over to full on production setup.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

zarmin

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 13, 08:58:57 AM »

Thanks for your answer!

If I notify the development team (I think via the support@heroengine.com), we want to advance into the alpha stage. What will happen? How much time they need to complete request? Will my development environment be splitted into multiple stages (eg. development, staging, production)?

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 13, 09:56:39 PM »

That I can't say, to many variations in it and all of that depends on your game and the devs.

For example is 2 servers in the cluster enough, is 1 server, how many players you talking about, suggested bandwidth etc.

All things we can't help you with, only the devs.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 13, 04:49:29 PM »

You can submit your game to move to the alpha stage by providing a walk-through of your game, being feature complete, or by submitting a functional vertical slice of your game with art.