HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Facegen and material transitions.  (Read 980 times)

AlmightyGir

• Developers
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Facegen and material transitions.
« on: Jun 20, 13, 03:57:44 PM »

Hey guys, another question!

currently we're looking into different ways to get different body shapes. and a problem has arisen - in order to get accurate body shapes, we need to blend between materials (linearly).

so, we wanted to set up two facegen sliders. the first would control body shape like this:

Scrawny <<<<< Average >>>>> Big build

then the second slider would control bodyfat levels in quite a specific way, and do this:

Zero bodyfat <<<<< >>>>> lots of bodyfat

the way it would do this, is at zero bodyfat the mesh has no morphs, at lots of bodyfat the mesh would have a belly morph. but at the same time we would like to be able to blend between two materials so that as you move the slider from left to right, the material reflects the change in fat levels and removes muscle definition.

i've already sculpted both high res meshes (lots of muscle def, and no muscle def) and baked out the normals. so we just need to know if it's possible to blend between the two materials using the same slider as the facegen morph. it "should" be possible using a linearinterpolate function, but outside of that i don't know how to impliment it or if it's even possible to impliment it.

cheers!
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 13, 04:33:32 PM by HE-Cooper »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Facegen and material transitions.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 13, 11:08:52 AM »

I know facegen has some sort of support for messing with textures as well as shape, but I have not tried the system myself and am not sure what functionality it provides.

You could use the dynamic texture bank system and some scripting to achieve the same goal though.

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Dynamic_Texture_Banks

Look at part 9.1: Skin palettes.  Instead of zombie in the far corner, you could have the "well toned muscle" texture, with racial skin blends on the side opposite that corner.  Then only give players control of the racial component (if that's to be a feature in your game) and use script to link the "body fat" slider to the related component of the skin blend.

Again it's possible that facegen already supports this, but I'm not familiar with it.  Also, if you wanted to use the dynamic texture banks system as well, it is likely that it would override the facegen determined textures, so I would recommend this method.

As a side note, it would probably be better to have the default mesh be in the middle of all extremes. That is to say, your default character would be better created with medium body fat instead of zero.  This will greatly reduce the stretching effect of the morphing at the extremes.