HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Animated Asset Questions  (Read 4149 times)

Panduhh

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Animated Asset Questions
« on: Jun 24, 13, 05:27:10 AM »

I have created a simple animation for a door opening, and followed the Wiki to exact specifications, but when I import my Animated Asset, one of two things happen.
1) Nothing happens whatsoever (Meaning the door is just a static object)
2) The door is animated, but it keeps looping(Since the door is animated to slide up, it eventually disappears into the sky).

My coder was talking about something with a Model Node and that I should get a popup that asks me about it, I haven't seen anything though. I have tried exporting about 10 different ways, and I get the same two outcomes

Can anyone offer me any advice as to what I'm doing wrong or what I should do differently?

Once again, all I want for this simple animation was a test on how to do it. It is just a translate up for about 85 frames and that's it.
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 13, 05:28:43 AM by Panduhh »

McMagic

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Novus Inceptio
Re: Animated Asset Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 13, 05:41:00 AM »

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 14, 03:44:03 PM by McMagic »

Panduhh

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 13, 05:43:42 AM »

It can help:

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Animated_Art_Assets_Tutorial#Animation_Callbacks_To_Script

On the client side the 3D model is presented as an object class HBNode

-----
Here is a more complex method (depends what exactly you need to make an object), this method does not require an animated model - animation is done using stateful commands (rotate, move, etc.)

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Stateful_Object_Spec_Oracle

That is the Wiki I have followed exactly to the word

McMagic

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Novus Inceptio
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 13, 06:07:45 AM »

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 14, 03:43:55 PM by McMagic »

Panduhh

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 13, 07:39:01 AM »

It is necessary to apply the animation tracks note in 3DMax

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Animation_Note_Tracks

And then to make the object gloom class that will respond to this note.

If it is necessary to open the door, so you need to set for the class (_OnGlomClass) stop animation. A mouse in response animation command (open the door), etc.

But the door would prefer to use the Stateful method.

Just a quick question, I downloaded the Sample Art Asset and checked the animated asset section. Do I have to have a rig of some sort? Can I not just have the animation going up through keyframes? Or is it necessary to have a rig plus keyframes?

McMagic

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Novus Inceptio
« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 13, 08:18:56 AM »

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 14, 03:44:13 PM by McMagic »

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 13, 09:09:39 AM »

if you are doing animated assets that need character interaction, I suggest looking at the state system instead.

Animations don't get passed to other clients, so while you could play the animation for playerA of the door opening, playerB wouldn't know it happened. You could create a state controller and pass that to all players, so as to fire the same animation, but at that point you are basically rebuilding the state system.

So unless you are in need for some really customized weird animation. Talking like the thing divides in half, while twirling around and around. Then the state system and transform should work just fine. The state system can then also open the door and fire off scripts to ensure it's replicated, and the state system, keeps track of it's state, so you can compare that state to see if the action should be to open or close the door.

Just using animations would make it extra hard cause you have to keep track of if the door is open or closed.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Panduhh

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 13, 09:12:15 AM »

It is the opening of a door to go into the outside world. So, players will click the door and it will open and teleport them to another map. I have tried everything you guys have said to the word, and it's still not stopping the animation..It just keeps going up and then eventually goes up so far it disappears.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 13, 02:14:22 PM »

so make a static asset, have it basically have two states, inactive and activated.

When the player clicks on the door have it set the state to activate, the state change will fire the transform (to move the door) then fire the script to move the player to the next area.

Super simple would take about 3 minutes to setup. Once you got use to the state system, which isn't hard to do.

But in regards to animated assets, what's causing it to loop? is probably tied to, your class that is glommed not stopping the animation after it plays. So you are going to need to do more coding to stop the animation, based off how long it should run, etc.

OR just build it as a state system, like you probably should. Animated Assets in my opinion are more useful for things that need to be in a constant state of motion, or one that has other reasons to start and stop. Butterflies, eyes on the wall watching a play area, birds, etc typically start them up let them do their thing, till you need to stop them for some other reason, or event which manages to call the stop animation on them. You can do it with the door itself, but going to need to use the animation duration as the thing to fire the stop animation.

Hate to be a broken record but take the 20 minutes to learn the states system, cause your going to need to anyways, and it will make this task and so many others super easy for you, and takes a ton of coding out of the equation.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]