HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: question to worldmachine users about y consistency between areas  (Read 996 times)

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile

Hi worldmachine users,

Any tips and tricks on how to keep consistency of y coordinate between seamlessly connected areas?
This is the scenario i am talking about:
My character is at y coordinate (for example) 2.423423 in area A, but when he is seamlessly transitioned to area B this coordinate changes to (for example) 3.785342.

Anyone found a way to precisely calculate the correct y position of the heightmap?

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online

um, besides making sure your heightmaps all start at 0,0,0 as a starting point, or atleast they have a 0 value for y as their starting coordinate.

Cause all the seamless does is "map" the coordinate differences between the zones and makes the jump happen. The area's each have their own coordinate setup, or at least that is how Ive read / understood it. But as you point out that can cause headaches if you are trying to use coordinates between the two. As there is a change in them and you need to know the difference.

It's a bit fuzzy for me cause it's been a bit but thought there was some way to determine that mapped offset. Could be way off on that thought though, so don't hold me to it.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

HE-Cooper

• View Profile

leveller .ter files are not Y uniform. I think the free version might not export raw files with consistent Y values either, but don't hold me to that.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile

The way i am doing it right now is that i seamlesly connect the target area while it is at position (0,0,0) and then edit seamless offset like i would normally do.
Then i get the y position of my char in source area (i call it source.y) and then travel(fly) to the target area in the straight horizontal line. In the target area i get the position again (i call it target.y).

The difference source.y - target.y is what i apply to the target area position (so now its position is no longer (0,0,0), but for example (0,1.423423,0)). The next step is to reedit the seamless  offset. Voila, when my char travels again from source to target area its y coordinate won't jump.

It sucks that it kinda adds overhead to layouting the world, but i tried to calculate the offsets via BBCorners and TBBCorner, but couldn't get results that would be precise enough.