HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: who wants a skill based system tutorial  (Read 6217 times)

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
Re: who wants a skill based system tutorial
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 13, 03:06:57 AM »

first merry xmas you lot

dont forget you might not need a timer (timers take memory) you can also use the SYSTEM.TIME.NOW command , just store it at the beginning of the event , and when its examined you can update the time left by doing a comparison.

i have a loot system using this method so each container can only be searched once a hour , which if every container had a timer would be very costly

Prometheus2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Exile-Online
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 13, 04:20:43 AM »

We are also doing certain skills that are increased over a period of time when actively selected, similar to eve online.

I also need this. Would like to take  a look into your implementation, how and when to handle timers.

You can design it pretty much any way you like. 1 skill at a time, multiple skills at a time but slowed down, offline progression etc etc.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 13, 04:41:06 AM »

yeah, i was only thinking if you had some super cool and super optimized online/offline progression algorithm. which mechanics would you use etc.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 13, 08:08:18 PM »

for offline or online, if you are looking at doing a time based scenario you have a few options. Offline is simple,

Set a log off time field on a playerCharacter node / field, when the player logs in run the check for current time vs logged off last, and use that value to determine the duration. Then use that to adjust the progression.

For online "idle" progression, there are a few different options / ways, as always. Depending on how frequently you want to check the idle progression when a player is online. Could have a system area that takes a bit of time and runs through all the players running a comparison for a field of last logged on vs current time. ETC. Just be wary of doing any progression via logged on time though, people will just go around in circles, running a macro to gain skills.

As far as timers, I try and stay away from them completely or as much as possible. Only really need timers when you are firing off a repetitive task, more so then using them to keep tabs on a "duration" So I try and make the skill system as static as possible. Which cuts down on the over head greatly. Also when we talk about a skill system we really are talking about two parts. The skill itself, and the abilities that skill grants to the player. The skill part itself is rather bland overall. The abilities to skill gain, etc is where it becomes fun. :) Also my system utilizes the spec system, so once setup / created you can create an unlimited number of abilities, without writing more code for each of them. Only if you create a unique ability that requires new additional "functionality". I'll be trying to deal with as much commonly found or seen types of damage / ability items. It won't be a perfect fit for everyone but will bring on the brain juices and provide examples for things.

I'll hopefully be done fixing my chat glitch soon, then I just have a small bit of character work to do, and then can start back on this in full force, as I'm going I'll start making posts, and doing open discussion.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Amarak

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 14, 12:48:04 PM »

This is exactly what I am browsing the forums for. A skill-based system similar to UO!
I (im-)patiently await your tutorial. I know how difficult it is to find time for extra work.
Pages: 1 [2]