HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: javascript gui framework  (Read 3174 times)

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
javascript gui framework
« on: Jul 07, 13, 12:25:38 AM »

Do you think we'd eventually be able to use this as an in game gui?

It just made me drool. :)

http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.1/extjs-build/examples/build/KitchenSink/ext-theme-neptune/#basic-panels
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 13, 01:03:32 AM by AWW_boss »

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
Re: javascript gui framework
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 13, 01:18:13 AM »

I have not had much experience with JS. I know that as a higher level language, it is slower than C++ and maybe slower than the heroscript too. Each of the GUIs made on that page can be created in script here also. The tricky part is knowing how they are made. Many of the features in MMOs are most likely not available there, like the chat box, nav compass, mini maps, and model viewer.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 13, 11:29:57 AM »

Boss, Which ones in particular caught your eye?
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 13, 12:48:46 PM »

well, none in particular, just the general feeling and smoothness, and the fact they're all coming out of the box.

But if'd have to pick two that i need i'd pick the "Multiple Sort Grid" and "Tree Grid"

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 13, 02:37:44 PM »

more drooling on widgets, these are free:

http://www.kendoui.com/web/widgets.aspx

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 13, 09:30:11 PM »

The catch is still realizing they are just CSS that uses javascript to populate data with. So really it's just a matter of formatting the CSS and really when you get into doing that it's basically building xml out, (slightly different but not by much)

I think what you actually like about it is it's pre-built meaning they have made the CSS and the script to drive it into a package, which could easily be done with Hero Engine to extend the default options. Thing is no one would want their games to look like that pre-built stuff.

You will find it's much harder to get an image to work in the CSS / JS package compared to how Hero does it.
And really if you look at the gui xml vs what this does not much different.

With that said I can see where you would like to have packaged GUI controls in Hero, that are setup to do a set function. Hero once again lives up to it's flexibility challenge in this department with allowing you enough freedom to hang your self, but it's good to have that freedom.

If you look at the code for the JS stuff it has glommed on classes and everything just like in Hero, so making a modification to it would be very similar to how Hero does things as well.

Example:
Code: [Select]
Ext.define('KitchenSink.view.grid.SlidingPager', {
    extend: 'Ext.grid.Panel',

requires: [
        'Ext.data.*',
        'Ext.grid.*',
        'Ext.util.*',
        'Ext.toolbar.Paging',
        'Ext.ux.SlidingPager',
        'KitchenSink.model.Company'
    ],
    xtype: 'sliding-pager',

Basically it's inherits from Panel, then adds data, grid, util, paging toolbar, sliding pager classes on to it. Just like Hero does.

Guess what i'm saying is your trading the a white grape for a purple grape, slightly different, but in the end it's still a grape.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 13, 02:09:24 AM »

Obviously, the people who did these frameworks (and numerous similar, the list is endless) spent years of development to make them functional, robust, cute looking and most importantly bug free.

My questions are, should i be spending years of development to make something similar with HeroEngine GUI, when all of this will be available once awesomium is out? Wouldn't it be better to focus on other areas? What are your opinions on that?

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 13, 02:24:38 AM by AWW_boss »

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 13, 02:22:28 AM »

I would mainly work on the game and its functions. If awesomium is going to cover these, it will most likely give the basics for each, allowing you to make changes to them to fit your game. Then you would be able to add them in faster and make less changes. Sometimes, awesomium might not cover one that you need. In that case, you might need to make the GUI yourself, but I would wait to see which you need to make before spending alot of time making duplicates.

For me, as I am still learning the scripting, I find it fun making the many different ones, in a learning environment.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 13, 12:08:47 PM »

As Thazager points out, focus on systems and core mechanics first and foremost, hopefully by that time you will know more about awesoium and if it makes sense to go with or not.

On the flip side though sometimes you have to dig down and do GUI work to test those systems. Even if it's at a base level GUI. For example creating an inventory GUI to test your inventory actually works, or building out a buff window to test buffs for your players, etc.

So don't put off a system cause you can't test it without some gui, but outside of that you can play the wait game. Cause I'm sure there is plenty of other things that have room to be focused on. That don't require as much gui work.

However don't think awesioum is going to magically make your life instantly easier. It might help out a ton, but we don't know what that interface between Hero data and the JS is going to be like, the API could be a bit of a challenge.
Hopefully here in the next few short months we will know a bit more about it.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 13, 01:04:54 PM »

Anyone got any update on the GUI tehnology change? Do you think i should still play the wait game and continue developing my systems in command line interface? Opinions!

(The question is addressed to the community, but i have a cunning plan to provoke the answer from the HE staff, muahahahahah)
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 13, 01:10:15 PM by AWW_boss »

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 13, 08:17:32 AM »

I still say stop thinking the awesium gui is going to be any different or better than the HE GUI, and start using the HE GUI. It's got everything you need, just have to work with it some.

I've seen some impressive top end GUI's built using the HE GUI. it's got a lot of power and features. Awesioum isn't going to remove the complexity, or difficulty. Instead of xml and atlas sheets it becomes CSS and atlas sheets.