HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Higher Resolution Texturing  (Read 2272 times)

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Higher Resolution Texturing
« on: Jul 15, 13, 07:28:28 PM »

Hi, I love the worlbuilding tools that come with Heroengine. However the only thing I don't like is the fact that terrain resolution is stuck, and that I cannot apply textures or color in any higher resolution that that of the terrain. What i would like to do is have more accuracy to create finer details on terrain, similar to that of World of Warcraft.
Here are some exaples:

http://superiorrealities.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/wowscrnshot_100212_153538.jpg

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2012/april/VotFW001.jpg

I Know that that level of detail is allot but all i am asking for is just some finer resolutions than the ones that currently exist. Also in WoW's case, they have to make very few rock and environment models because of the flexibility of their terrain system, they can pretty much make almost any terrain feature that they need right there without having to go and make a model which would also reduce client size.
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 13, 11:21:17 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: [Request] Higher Resolution Texturing
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 13, 08:19:55 PM »

Hi A White Guy,

You can use whatever resolution of terrain you'd like. As long as they are a power of 4. And you can further scale the UVs from within the terrain panel. Hope that helps.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 13, 09:27:31 PM »

yeah hero has ability to create terrain that looks 100 times better than those screenshots, just need a good texture, and know how to use the tools in the engine.

But to make that type of detail is super easy in hero engine.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 13, 09:29:49 PM »

Wow, i did not know that. However you say it can be any resolution that is a power of 4, but where do i change the resolution at?

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 13, 04:49:29 AM »

It means like the following texture sizes [resolution] :

You change the size of your texture with any decent paint program (Photoshop, GIMP, w.e).

You would want to look at the UV size (it's set to 1.0); you can drag that slider up and down to increase or decrease the resolution in HeroEngine. It's in the terrain panel.

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Re: [Resolved] Higher Resolution Texturing
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 13, 12:17:22 PM »

Oh ok, i thought he meant that there was an option inside hero engine to increase the actual irresolution of the terrain, not the texture. But thanks anyway though

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 13, 12:54:00 PM »

There is an option in the properties of the heightmap (open the Properties Window) and set the resolution to HALF or even QUARTER to save vertices :)

Won't affect textures :)

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 13, 01:49:35 PM »

There is an option in the properties of the heightmap (open the Properties Window) and set the resolution to HALF or even QUARTER to save vertices :)

Won't affect textures :)

yes and no, using quarter resolution does tend to make the tiling effect much harder to deal with and requires a bit more work with the textures, to ensure they don't tile, and that you can add enough noise to it to break up the tiling effect.

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 13, 12:30:22 AM »

Thanks, I ended up getting close to the results i wanted by using transparent textures on layers higher than 1. Still though, i think it would be cool if we had an option to independently scale terrain texture resolution to be higher than the terrain itself.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 13, 12:15:18 PM »

Thanks, I ended up getting close to the results i wanted by using transparent textures on layers higher than 1. Still though, i think it would be cool if we had an option to independently scale terrain texture resolution to be higher than the terrain itself.

You can, resolution is dependent on the textures provided by the user.

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 13, 02:35:58 PM »

I know you can make higher resolution textures, i was talking about being able to paint textures more accurately in heroengine by being able to scale the resolution that textures are painted, not the resolution of the actual texture.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 13, 05:10:14 PM »

are you referring to having sharp lines between two textures?

You can get pretty pin point with textures and if you turn all fade off out, and set the texture to paint full power, you can make hard lines and seams with the tools,

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #12 on: Jul 21, 13, 10:05:47 PM »

Also don't forget that you can select down to the verticies individually and paint textures on just the selected verticies. This can greatly help as well.

Same with precision transforms etc