HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Forced world sleep / reboot?  (Read 1477 times)

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Forced world sleep / reboot?
« on: Aug 19, 13, 08:31:38 PM »

So we have an awaken command any option to get a sleep / reboot command for the world. I know we can custom build one, but till we are at the point of that level in skill. Would it be possible to have the same spin down routine that happens when all players are out of the world, happen, via a button push on the launcher?

It's helpful sometimes to "reboot" your world to clear things up, right now that means making sure everyone is out for like 20 minutes, and seeing it it goes to sleep. Not a huge pain but would be nice if we could speed up the time lag, when we think we need a world restart, for some reason, (strange physics, odd weather issues, some rogue script gone bad. etc)
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

McMagic

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Novus Inceptio
Re: Forced world sleep / reboot?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 13, 02:41:49 AM »

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 14, 03:39:56 PM by McMagic »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 13, 06:58:43 AM »

Unfortunately that option isn't available in the cloud, with the nature of a shared cloud infrastructure being what it is.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 13, 07:25:56 AM »

I get the issue of possibly having others in there, and not wanting to cut those players off, a simple "sorry people still in world" message would be ok.

But if the world is empty, starting the refresh process, vs waiting for natural timeout, isn't possible?
I know that we all share a cloud structure, etc, but our worlds spin down automatically, we just want to speed up the timer on how long that is, when we need it to, while not cursing it cause it went to sleep when we went to the restroom.

Now on the flip side I can see where that could cause some chaos if you had a bunch of people refreshing it every 5 minutes though, As the master server would start to get a bit upset. So maybe a limit on how many times it can be done in an hour, lets say no more than once every 2 hours, or such.

Also not a rush or high priority item, but it's a useful one, cause so many times, things "uniquely" don't work, but after the world refreshes poof, they work. For example my rain issue, I spent 5 hours digging through repository looking for changes someone might of made. Checked all my scripts and most HE / E. scripts. Made a post, and more, when all I had to do was let the world come down and spin up again. We run into this a lot especially when we need to bump against more base system pieces, cause a bunch of them have scripts that run at world spin up. So only way to test that a script that functions at world spin up is working properly is to wait till next time the world spins up.

The servers / world does it naturally we just want a way to naturally request the normal spin down process's timer gets temporarily shortened to like 1 minute, but then returns to it's normal time frame on next spin up.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]