HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Asset Editor Mass editing of similar assets  (Read 1362 times)

harshman_chris

• World Owner
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Asset Editor Mass editing of similar assets
« on: Aug 26, 13, 07:35:14 PM »

Hello,

I want to be able to mass edit properties on assets, in this case I want to hide all of my invisible walls.

When I open the Asset Editor and select all of the object the Property panel goes blank.

So my question is how can I edit the properties of all of the assets at once, I have around 200 walls so editing them by hand will not be an option since I will need to turn them on and off if I ever need to fix the position of the walls.

Regards

Chris
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 13, 07:25:17 PM by HE-Cooper »
Producer for Gallium Gaming

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: Asset Editor Mass editing of similar assets
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 13, 08:25:43 PM »

Just make a quick script to do it, have it look in the area for all of the types of assets such as the wall, and then run through the list to set their property for visibility to false.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

harshman_chris

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 13, 08:32:56 PM »

Just make a quick script to do it, have it look in the area for all of the types of assets such as the wall, and then run through the list to set their property for visibility to false.

That would work for that, but I was hoping for something that doesn't require a script, because this time it is this object, but writing a script for every object seems really inefficient.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 13, 12:27:33 AM »

The editor turns off property panel editing when you have over 100 or so objects manually selected. If you have 200 walls in an area you need to be interacting with, it's likely that you have a design issue on your hands. You could break them into rooms, turn them into larger peices, or as suggested above, make a simple debug script to change all of the invisible walls in the area from foo to bar.

harshman_chris

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 13, 03:35:37 PM »

Alright,

Right now I am using a box that is flatten out on one axis and increased in size on the other two, like a wall, and this particular, isn't that big but has a lot of tight corners and we do not want to players being able to run up the canyon walls, it is an old school method, but we are just learning the engine and we are not sure of any other way to limit where the player can go without using objects, either invisible or visible.

If there is a better way I would love to know how.

I am curious as to why the arbitrary cut off for the properties to turn off?

As a side note it would be nice if we could shift-click through the asset menu to select a range of objects.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 13, 11:20:28 PM »

So your just trying to keep players from jumping up a canyon wall if so just change the character controller so it can't vertical climb, you probably going to need to do that anyways. There is a slope value, and gravity / fall rate curves that need adjusted to keep the player from being able to bunny hope up cliff faces.

Now the reason for the limit is when setting the property value of that many assets you are making a large write request to the repository in a real time setting, that is then instantly reflected back. While not a big deal to say, trying to do it instantly for all of them could create a small lag spike. Doesn't seem like an issue till you put together a team that has 20 people all working in areas, if they all started toggling properties back and forth, that is a bunch of updating, not to mention, the render side of things for the clients, physics system, material instances, so many things that are affected by properties. For example lets say you updated the physics requirements of those 200 wall elements, well now the physics server has to rebuild it's physics model for every one of them as nearly instant as it can. Just a bunch of work, to be done.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

harshman_chris

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 13, 09:59:24 AM »

Thank you.