HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Custom Rigs?  (Read 3044 times)

DWS_Russ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Russ Briggeman Jr - Online Portfolio
Custom Rigs?
« on: Sep 25, 13, 02:48:43 PM »

Hello all,

I've recently started looking into animation for HE, and something has come to my attention. All tutorials I see use Bipeds, and I see that CATRigs are supported as well.

Given that I was trained primarily to create my own bones and rigs, is it possible to do this with HE? Other than everything being in one hierarchy, are there any requirements such as axis orientations? Limits to the number of bones, etc?

Thanks in advance

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Rigs?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 13, 03:09:19 PM »

Custom rigs are perfectly fine.  Include a Synthetic Root Bone name Bip01 and try and stay under the guideline* 75 bone limit and you are perfectly free to create a custom brontosaurus with jet wings and mecha-centipede legs or anything else that strikes your fancy.

Make sure you create your rig such that all motion is done through bones with geometry skinned to them.  Blend shapes and geometry to geometry constraints will not work.

*this is a guideline related to the number of bones in a skeleton a certain level of GPU can handle before dumping the calculations on the CPU. 
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 13, 03:36:47 PM by HE-BENNETT »

DWS_Russ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Russ Briggeman Jr - Online Portfolio
Re: Custom Rigs?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 13, 03:17:42 PM »

Thankee sai,

When I saw those Bipeds in the tutorials, I had flashbacks to TCB nightmares, haha.