HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] player built cities  (Read 1595 times)

DasBusch

• World Owner
  • Your a daisy if ya do..
    • View Profile
    • The Hades Gate
[Resolved] player built cities
« on: Sep 29, 13, 03:04:06 AM »

ive searched around on forums cant seem to find anything on player buildings, anybody have a link to a thread or a tutorial on setting it up so players can build buildings etc?
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 13, 07:17:54 PM by HE-Cooper »

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
Re: player built cities
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 13, 05:38:27 AM »

do you mean player owed housing , or would you like people to actually be able to place a shack? if its the former then there are some outlines on the wiki. The latter is a bit more complicated , and i am not sure any one has written a tutorial on the subject.

it would likely involve a extension of the HE edit tools , but you would have to carefully think out the rules for placement , whether you wanted npc's in that area that are using the navmesh, and probably a ton of things i can not think of right now, although im sure this might prompt a discussion of what you will also need to consider

DasBusch

• World Owner
    • View Profile
    • The Hades Gate
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 13, 05:40:28 AM »

like a place a shack, or a wall, etc. my goal is the player is given an area of land and he must develop it with the help of buddies.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 13, 07:18:39 PM »

It's totally do able, there have been a few guys that made spec systems that handle just that. One guy made a placement tool for trees, and another guy for novus inceptious (spelled wrong) has videos showing his house construction kit that includes trees, bushes, etc.

Now for all the grand details on how they worked it out I haven't studied it enough.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 13, 08:57:18 PM »

I've looked into this a bit, and doesn't the ability for players to place permanent things in the open world need the source license?
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 13, 08:05:34 AM »

I've looked into this a bit, and doesn't the ability for players to place permanent things in the open world need the source license?

No. You can have players send a command to the server as well for placing an asset, and replicate that to each other client and make it permanent.

2 projects at the moment have that feature already.

DasBusch

• World Owner
    • View Profile
    • The Hades Gate
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 13, 08:17:47 PM »

What ide like is buildings to be somewhat modular, say if your going to place a keep you would place the hall, then have a list of additions you can add to it and it automatically places it attached to that object so in reality the player is not building a totally customizable building but its still more or less his design, im only an artist though so building the objects is not the issue its the scripting/coding part of it that has me lost.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 13, 10:16:53 PM »

Well if that is the goal, and note this might not be most efficient manner. The object could just be a library asset that would get placed with various parts turned off in regards to visibility and collision, that then get turned on as a player selects those options.

Not very fancy but could give you a rough start till you get more into the code aspects.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Adam_Lower

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 13, 02:15:24 PM »

Perhaps take a look at The Repopulation. They have player-owned area system set up and you may be able to get some ideas for how you could do it as well.