HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DinoCorps  (Read 5721 times)

ToddWorld

• World Owners
    • View Profile
DinoCorps
« on: Oct 01, 13, 06:10:17 PM »

Hi all. Playing around with Hero Engine and "learning the ropes" as it were. Spent last weekend putting together my sandbox and themed it around the DinoCorps story I've had going with my son for the past few years.

The story is based around dinosaurs taking part in World War II (think original "Transformers" age-range with dinosaurs and lots of combat).

No dinosaurs in the game yet, but it's been a blast building our version of Omaha Beach.

Todd

ToddWorld

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Re: DinoCorps
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 13, 06:23:37 PM »

Here are a few various pieces of other DinoCorp lore. As you can see it's aged at a younger demographic.

ToddWorld

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 13, 06:14:19 PM »

We got our Official DinoCorps logo designed and ready to go.

ToddWorld

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 13, 01:09:23 PM »

A couple of ZBrush rough drafts. Poor Rex looks a bit too much like a cow (we'll have to work on that).

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 13, 07:56:35 PM »

Welcome to HeroEngine, Todd.  You have some nice looking characters and a refreshing approach.  I have not seen many groups try to make a game aimed at younger children.

Good luck to you!
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

ToddWorld

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 13, 11:38:01 AM »

Thanks. DinoCorps started out as a bedtime story for my son. It started out with a "What do you want the story to be about tonight?"

Connor: "World War II." (He likes historical battles...what can I say).

Me: "Ok. No problem. Once upon a time in Germany....."

Connor: "...and DINOSAURS!"

Me: "...uh...ok."

Connor: "...with big robots."

Me: "Yeah....sure. Ok."

And it pretty much rolled from there. We've had it going on and off for the past couple of years now. So, we're good on 'lore". We've got our 'good guys' and 'bad guys' and general world rules. It all feels a lot like old school Transformers meets GI Joe.

We're still not sure how we're going to handle it all in Hero Engine yet. Whether an adventure game would be good, or 3rd person shooter/adventure, or a small MMO.

We decided now to dive into Hero Engine because Disney just shut down all their MMOs (Toontown/Pirates,etc) and my daughter has played ToonTown for a long time....she now mainly moved on to Wizard 101. Now I'm trying to encourage them to make something of their own. So, in the end....it may not be DinoCorps at all.

I've been making (casual) games for 10+ years for companies like LEGO, Microsoft, and Universal Pictures, and I believe that there is SOOOO much a person can learn by creating games and try to do it any chance we can with the kids. We've already created and published a mobile game called "Aniballs" a couple of years ago.

Hero Engine has been pretty great so far. The only downside (and it's worth the wait it for the price)...has been the inability to connect to the server "whenever you need to".

In any case, glad to be finally using Hero Engine we'll see where things go.

Todd

ToddWorld

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 13, 08:48:10 PM »

In between painting textures and working on the Omaha Beach location I worked on this poster for the guys.

I hope you enjoy.
Todd

ToddWorld

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Re: DinoCorps - Day/Night Cycle
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 13, 10:42:20 PM »

So we've temporarily ditched the skybox to play around with a day/night cycle. These shots are rough, but I think I'm getting a grasp on the basics. They show promise and cause for further exploration.

ToddWorld

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Re: DinoCorps - Omaha Beach Basecamp
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 13, 10:45:28 PM »

And here's the basic layout for the Omaha Beach camp. It's the starting area and will serve as a 'safe haven' for players. Although we have five tents planned, we only know the specifics of three; the Command Tent, the Medical Tent, and the Engineering Tent. The other two will be assigned later.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 13, 10:55:05 AM »

I'm liking those textures you're painting, they have a nice feel to them.  I'm very curious, how much are your kids getting involved in the development?  This seems like an excellent opportunity for them to learn quite a bit :D

ToddWorld

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 13, 12:56:00 PM »

From a technical standpoint, it's a little limited at this moment. Connor is 10 and Katie is 13, neither has any 3d experience at the moment...but the basic education of that is something I plan on tackling through the course of development. They both are aware of the basic steps involved (modeling, texturing, rigging, lighting and animating), and Katie has played around with ZBrush, but neither has produced anything serious yet.

At the moment they've got a sandbox area to play around with and learn the basics of creating environments, lighting, and placing objects in the environments.

Hopefully, once I can get a base library of assets they'll jump in and start building out areas. Since Connor knows the story for the past couple of years he's never short on ideas and the way things "have to be". Right now the biggest hurdle is trying to keep expectations to a "let's start off simple" level.

We've already created and released a mobile game called "Aniballs" together. Here's a link to the  Aniballs Developer Journal. It took about a year to get it launched and we covered a lot of topics, basic physics, some algebra, trig, Katie did a little lua scripting. It was good but Connor's always wanted to do 3D game and they're both familiar with MMO's.

I'm a HUGE believer in using game development to teach (actually writing a book on "Game Design for Kids" at the moment) so trust me, I'll work in a lot of learning points before this whole thing is said and done.

Right now I'm trying to get my hands around the basics to be able to give a little intelligent instruction.

Thanks,
Todd
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 13, 01:02:26 PM by ToddWorld »

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 13, 01:50:18 PM »

We've already created and released a mobile game called "Aniballs" together. Here's a link to the  Aniballs Developer Journal.

Nice game. Reminds me of a game I worked on with my brother, in 1993 for kids. cuckoo-zoo
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

ToddWorld

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 13, 02:20:00 PM »

Very cool! Sad to hear the "Kids" product line didn't fair better. I'm guessing EA didn't throw a ton of marketing dollars your direction?

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 13, 07:49:00 PM »

We were contracted to do the programming part, and paid a small set amount for the game. I dont remember the exact amount I got for my part, but I think it was about $5-8k, for about 3 months work. My brother was lead on that game and did get the majority of income. EA did have some in house people that we were contacted by, who were new to making video games.
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

ToddWorld

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 13, 08:22:49 PM »

Well it looks like it turned out very cool.

You're working on the City of Heroes inspired MMO now correct?
Pages: [1] 2