HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Resolved] View Distance settings / long view issue  (Read 4282 times)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: View Distance settings / long view issue
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 13, 09:17:21 PM »

Sure, and that works. I have a number of oroducts I'm looking at where it works. Though using fog to handle occlusion and dramatically changing fog density and distance over time would mean performance would vary based on time of day, which might not be ideal.

I'll get in a standard HeroCloud template tomorrow to make sure we have t broken something there.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 13, 04:04:30 PM »

I checked out the fog, and it looks good to me. Take a castle tower from the standard herocloud template. Lower it's LOD factor, observer the behavior. Return the LOD factor to 1, then set the fog to all closest max values. You'll see the same behavior take place. You can more easily visibly verify by hitting the lightbulb, which will show you the visuals without fog coloring, but still at diminished LOD.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 13, 07:52:24 PM »

So fog never clips just forces the object to it's lowest LOD is the behavoir of how it works.

I see it forcing the LOD shift right at the edge of MAX fog down to the lowest LOD. I was hoping the fog would actually hit a point where it would completely clip the object out of worry or care of the player client. At this point it will continue to hold a draw call forever, and will need to have a texture held in memory.

I was hoping the fog would clip the model from the rendering aspect so the draw calls would be freed up along with the texture map.

Since they need the same texture, that won't free up a texture as it LODs down.

Still would perfer it to fully drop off the face of the earth, then slowly come back / load in as the player approached the assets. At this point I'm making flat model LODs and consuming resources across the whole area. To create less load on the client. Then using FOG to drive down to that level.
Which gives thought back to needing or having to use rooms.

I know billboard style models running a generic across the entire game Fog material won't tie or consume much and occluders will help block a bunch out along with terrain, so again the impact not that all great, just was hoping for actual asset clipping though. So when at max fog the item basically wasn't loaded into the client's rendering, just as if you turn your back or the item was behind an occluder.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 13, 03:01:46 PM »

That would be one approach. I don't think it would work in any of the games I've been a part of, but might work for your project.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 13, 08:01:37 PM »

Well we just want the models to stop rendering after they are at 100% fog. Since Hero Fog doesn't force the viewport to actually clip the model just reduce it's LOD to lowest setting I will have to make that lowest LOD as simple and basic as it possibly can be. It will still be a bunch of draw calls being wasted all over the place, and texture space consumed on the graphics cards.

We will probably look to edit the games farClipPlane to be a bit closer.

Is there a way for you guys to look at allowing 100% Fog density to actually remove the assets from the viewport, using the same process it gets removed from when you rotate it out of the view port?

So when at 100% fog density the asset basically gets removed from the viewport's rendering calls?

Actually it would be the same process as when the FarClipPlane removes the asset, but have that set via the fog 100% density distance. This makes things much more efficient for world builders. Completely removes the need for rooms beyond environmental differences / to hide path system / sunlight stuff.

One thing my crazy mind thought of just now. lol attach/parent an occluder to the player that basically becomes their view bubble so a sphere then use scale tools to adjust how close or far that sphere is around the player. That would basically build a moving occluder around the player, granted a sphere is overkill but a frontal arc should work.

If going that route would there be some nightmarish issue with having an occluder moving around like such? Not sure how that would be on the client load. I'll make it up and test, but I feel it would be a lot of load. Any idea? Or is it possible to work out a built in option with HE?
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 13, 12:27:22 AM »

You'll see once you get building why you would never want fog to remove an asset completely. :-)
Pages: 1 [2]