HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Texturing and dynamic detail painting problem  (Read 1565 times)

Genesis

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Texturing and dynamic detail painting problem
« on: Oct 07, 13, 07:22:16 PM »

Hi!

So I'm new to Hero-engine, I exported a terrain from World Machine and now I want to apply only one texture (8192x8192) on the whole terrain, not repeated. I touched the UV scale and even at 0.01 I have my texture repeated 4 times and I want it to apply on the whole map... Do you have any advises? 

Also for painting dynamic details, I just cannot paint anything on the height-map I imported even if I select the icon...

Thanks a lot,

CJ
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 13, 12:33:11 PM by Genesis »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Texturing and dynamic detail painting problem
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 13, 01:25:49 AM »

Hi Genesis,

The terrain system isn't designed to place one texture over an entire area, it's designed to paint areas by hand using small textures. In general, you probably don't want to use a texture that large, ever, in game development. :-) At least not in this decade.

To paint dynamic detail, you would select the tab, add a channel, then use the brush sliders to select where to paint.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 13, 03:10:15 PM »

I'm currently doing the same thing (although my textures are 2048x2048) , and have the same issue  (repeated 4 times). I don't see any significant fps drop when applying this texture and everything is running smoothly. Should i be worried about something else?

This is how it looked when i applied it (i might want to play with bumpines and specular more)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79625595/terrain2.png

on the side note, Cooper i beg you, patch this, so i don't have it repeated 4 times :)
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 13, 03:12:32 PM by AWW_boss »

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 13, 03:50:26 PM »

You won't get much fps drop from a couple heightmaps and 2 textures.  What you're doing there could be done with (2) 512x512 textures (4 with normal maps obviously).  The basic ground one and the snow.  Utilizing the slope editor, it could even be painted pretty easily.

Just make sure they're seamless, and it'll produce the results you're looking for.  You can also import custom brushes too.

Personally, I just think that's way too large of an area to use just a 2048 texture.  You'll get much better detail with a repeated ground texture, and the snow one here and there to hide the fact that it is repeated.  Didn't see a pic in the OP so unsure, but the same likely applies.  Much better detailed with some smaller, repeated textures as opposed to a big one, applied to a huge piece of land.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 13, 02:00:58 AM »

Though AWW_boss is working on an automated system. The texture as shown by boss was made tileable by me; it's size is 512x512. From the perspective in which the user is flying, you can hardly see it anyways :P

The HE Heightmap system is actually pretty wicked and hardly effects performance. My advice to AWW_boss was also to use 2 smaller textures and hand-paint it, but that goes against the semi-automated system he is working on.