HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: my zap blends with dynamic sky  (Read 1156 times)

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
my zap blends with dynamic sky
« on: Nov 24, 13, 05:03:13 AM »

Hi!

Why does my non transparent zap texture has transparency in relation to dynamic sky? I would expect it to be non transparent as well, and this is a big problem for me. Here are the pics that describe it better:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79625595/laser_blend.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79625595/laser_noblend.png

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
Re: my zap blends with dynamic sky
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 13, 05:15:15 AM »

To be more precise, the problem here is that i cannot control the level of transparency in relation to dynamic sky - it seems it always defaults to some value, and in most cases my zaps become almost invisible.
The alternative would be to turn alpha blending off, but this is not what i want. I'd eventually want for the zaps to have transparency, but i also want to have control over how transparent they are in relation to dynamic sky.

Note: most ground base games would not percive this as a problem, as they usually would not have dynamic sky as a background for particle effects, but in flight game this immedately becomes an issue.

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 13, 05:20:30 AM by AWW_boss »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 13, 09:43:32 AM »

The engine doesn't use a per pixel render pass, which is an expensive step. That means that 2 alpha gradients or blends will always sort arbitrarily. Your blended texture and the blended texture used in the example clouds cause this effect. You can either turn off clouds, change clouds to use an alpha test, or have your effect texture use an alpha test.

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 13, 02:32:40 PM »

Ok, thanks.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 13, 09:10:46 PM »

The engine doesn't use a per pixel render pass, which is an expensive step. That means that 2 alpha gradients or blends will always sort arbitrarily. Your blended texture and the blended texture used in the example clouds cause this effect. You can either turn off clouds, change clouds to use an alpha test, or have your effect texture use an alpha test.

I have this issue as well, how do we make an alpha test material in Hero? Or would that basically be a 1-bit alpha channel? Thanks.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 13, 10:25:12 PM by Stadi_Thompson »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 13, 09:38:08 PM »

An alpha blend/gradient uses a percentage value of alpha per pixel. An alpha mask/test uses a binary value for determining alpha. A per pixel render pass for alpha blends is too expensive for many massive scale games.