HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Overwriting Existing Files in Repository Doesn't Update  (Read 2310 times)

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

Hey guys :)
When I am changing the pivot of an object in Maya and I export it again over the previous file and then upload it via repository the HE doesn't seem to update it and in order for me to do that I have to either export the file to a new name or restart HE (which doesn't always work). Somewhere HE saves history of the assets and library icons and I was wondering if there is a way to really delete that cache?

Thanks a lot !
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 13, 04:28:35 PM by gaarzen »

Chromehound

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Overwriting Existing Files in Repository Doesn't Update
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 13, 09:30:40 AM »

Sometimes for geometry & other kind of changes, you have to restart the client (HeroBlade).  You could try just re-logging.  Basically you go to a play instance of the Character Select area, and go back to the area you were working on so it re-loads the assets.

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 13, 12:58:27 PM »

Sometimes for geometry & other kind of changes, you have to restart the client (HeroBlade).  You could try just re-logging.  Basically you go to a play instance of the Character Select area, and go back to the area you were working on so it re-loads the assets.

Allright, thanks :)

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 13, 05:33:52 AM »

If I'm over writing files with code content such as DAT, PAR or DYC very quickly I reach a point where it doesn't update anymore and the repository remembers the old files even when I try to delete those files and re transfer them and even though I try to restard the repository. The only way I'm able to update those files is wait until the world is falling asleep and then wake it up again. It takes forever to do tests  :(

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 13, 09:47:38 AM »

Make sure your connection is good.

When you update parts with code, most of the time the heroblade is updating the world and your client repository just as fast.

So like with characters as soon as the file hits the repository on the server, the game world starts working on it, and sending the changes to your computer's client repository. Also the game world now has the potential to mess things up, for example a part is now missing or some other aspect, while it's waiting for any thing down the "pipeline" to finish up. This causes game to start throwing an error, and at times spam an error to the point it chokes your client to death.

It might not be the problem, but just something to look, are your files outside of texture files pretty much instantly loaded no matter how many or are they kinda slow loading.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 13, 10:00:52 AM »

Make sure your connection is good.

When you update parts with code, most of the time the heroblade is updating the world and your client repository just as fast.

So like with characters as soon as the file hits the repository on the server, the game world starts working on it, and sending the changes to your computer's client repository. Also the game world now has the potential to mess things up, for example a part is now missing or some other aspect, while it's waiting for any thing down the "pipeline" to finish up. This causes game to start throwing an error, and at times spam an error to the point it chokes your client to death.

It might not be the problem, but just something to look, are your files outside of texture files pretty much instantly loaded no matter how many or are they kinda slow loading.
Thanks for the reply !
Not really sure how to go around it, just trying to only have the repository open and also restarting it. If I overwrite the files a few times it stops updating and I have to wait for the server to sleep before I can go for another run. pretty frustrating.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 13, 10:20:35 AM »

Hmm.  I don't know of any reason why this would be the case.  How many times is "a few". How quickly are you uploading new versions?

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 13, 03:02:25 PM »

Hmm.  I don't know of any reason why this would be the case.  How many times is "a few". How quickly are you uploading new versions?
Hi, sorry I didn't see there was a new reply on the subject.
Sometimes I'm able to overwrite 2 times but usually after overwriting the first time I can't do it anymore without it "remembering" the old file.

That also happens with game assets:
Last night I uploaded an object with different textures to different asset names and then I found out I forgot to rename the mesh and material to different names on each file.
I resaved that object, giving it a different name and a different material name each time, exporting it 3 times overall, I replaced the old files in the repository (also tried deleting them) and yet in the HE it I still get an error regarding the material definition. I can even see these assets contain the first names I gave them in Maya which didn't update after replacing them.
The library also remembers those files and even after deleting them and re uploading them as soon as I add them to the library they already have their old thumbnails as if there's some sort of cache.
I waited for the world to spin down and tried again but that didn't help, seems like I need to give those files different names for them to work.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 13, 03:11:17 PM »

In software development, when things are version controlled, deleting a file from a repo and then uploading a file with the same name can either result in brokenness or in restoring the history, since no files are permantly deleted in the repo, adding the file back in is simply another step in the history.

Once you've made multiple material changes, deleted, restored, named a different material but made no other changes, it's possible that the repo doesn't detect a change that minuscule as the object would be identical in most ways, so the material doesn't update in engine until next load. I suspect it would update on area change, or once the material has dropped from memory.

The thumbnail in the library is an auto generated file, so if you manually deleted the button, and the model file, but then added a file with the same name, that thumb would correspond again.

None of the lag in upload happens to me, so I suspect it's still due to a local something, poor connection, fragmentation, etc, but it could be an annoying quirk in the engine, but as long as the files are updated correctly eventually I wouldn't worry about it.

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 13, 04:04:38 PM »

In software development, when things are version controlled, deleting a file from a repo and then uploading a file with the same name can either result in brokenness or in restoring the history, since no files are permantly deleted in the repo, adding the file back in is simply another step in the history.

Once you've made multiple material changes, deleted, restored, named a different material but made no other changes, it's possible that the repo doesn't detect a change that minuscule as the object would be identical in most ways, so the material doesn't update in engine until next load. I suspect it would update on area change, or once the material has dropped from memory.

The thumbnail in the library is an auto generated file, so if you manually deleted the button, and the model file, but then added a file with the same name, that thumb would correspond again.

None of the lag in upload happens to me, so I suspect it's still due to a local something, poor connection, fragmentation, etc, but it could be an annoying quirk in the engine, but as long as the files are updated correctly eventually I wouldn't worry about it.

Sometimes we make rapid changes to see how they react in the engine, having them not recognize the changes can be frustrating and changing asset names would contradict the code but I guess there is no way around that.
Thanks a lot for the information :)

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 13, 04:52:07 PM »

Again, I don't see that behavior, so I suspect there's something locally, but imagine if you were working in any other engine that required alocal build to update materials, and an overnight build to distribute the updates to the server based environment. :)

gaarzen

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 13, 07:28:16 PM »

Again, I don't see that behavior, so I suspect there's something locally, but imagine if you were working in any other engine that required alocal build to update materials, and an overnight build to distribute the updates to the server based environment. :)
Good point :)