HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Combining Character Selection and Creation Areas  (Read 1348 times)

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
Combining Character Selection and Creation Areas
« on: Dec 11, 13, 10:46:10 PM »

We are thinking about adding our character selection area to our character creation area, in order speed up the area changing between the two, as we have lots of objects being loaded into each area, but basically the same scene. We were wondering what would be involved on the script side, as moving the art assets has been done already.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Combining Character Selection and Creation Areas
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 13, 12:23:12 AM »

You'll want an engineer on your team to tackle all of that investigation. I wouldn't recommend messing around with the front end early in your project. There's plenty of time and work to do elsewhere. That will let your engineers become familiar with the engine, then you can tackle complicated systems with a high likelihood of breaking your workflow.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 13, 12:34:40 AM »

I agree with Cooper.  What you describe requires advanced knowledge of the engine.

That being said, I am not sure combining them into one area is even feasible:

• The area used for character selection is locked as being area #1. I don't think that can be changed unless you get a source license.
  • When in the character selection area, you do not have a character logged in, since you are in the process of choosing one.  I don't know if it is even possible to have a character logged in when in that area.
  • When entering the creation area to create a character, a new default character is created and you are logged in as that guy, whereupon customization commences.

So as you can see, the sticking point is that the character selection area does not allow a character to be logged in, whereas character creation requires that you do have a character logged in, so that it can be customized.  I might be wrong, but I don't see a way to do these things in the same area; certainly it would be very complex, and would require being able to do creation in area #1.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 13, 12:36:17 AM by ScottZarnke »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 13, 01:12:59 AM »

More importantly look at other games,
They keep them separate as well.
Good example is Guild Wars 2.
Character Selection just has a single background image and a light weight GUI for selecting / deleting your character. It's not till you go into creating a new character that you get the character creation area. Almost every game I can think of does it this way. As stated there is a challenge of having them being the same area, in regards to a player node being present or not as ScottZ points out. When you read through how the two work / pass data back and forth it becomes a bit more clear why they are separate to begin with. 
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 13, 08:15:52 PM »

Thanks for the replies, they have helped guide us.

We were wondering how the character name chosen in the character selection area, is used for a pointer to the data that makes each character a separate individual. In other words, the name in account._charlist example Bob, points to his data for say hit points in char.E_hitPoints. Where account as Noderef of Class E_playerAccount and char as Noderef of Class E_playerCharacter.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

LastJudge

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 13, 04:57:32 AM »

You can get the character data by QueryAssociation, the type of assoc. is "AccountChracterAssociation". It will return all characters associated with the account and after that, all you need to do is pretty much cycle through the associations.

If you want to see an example, you can look at the code for that in HJREF world in HJ_CharacterSelectionClassMethods (server). The method where it gets done is HE_CSSMarshalCharacterData. The data is then parsed in the HJ_CharacterSelectionGUIClassMethods (client) in the receiveCharacters function.