HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Client to Server updating a field  (Read 1559 times)

feredfn

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[RESOLVED] Client to Server updating a field
« on: Dec 20, 13, 07:25:55 AM »

Hello there,

i have 2 classes with some fields on both client and server
my fields have reverse and callback options = yes , and has field destinations on both server and client
my class also has the destination class for both client and server and the R checkbox of the fields are also checked
from server to client it works , and its also calling _OnReplicationFieldUpdated on the client ..

but if i change the fields via client , how can server notice this change?

( better example : i have a slider which controls the strength stat of the character, i want to do some calculations on server if the slider has changed )
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 13, 12:24:00 AM by feredfn »

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
Re: Client to Server updating a field
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 13, 01:44:42 PM »

Inside the function on the client side, to evaluate the location of the slider, when the value actually changes from its starting position, then send a message to the server letting it know.

method _onSliderChangeValue()

when silder.name
     is "Strength"
        if newValue <> originalValue
           Call server account ....

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 13, 10:07:51 PM »

feredfn,

It sounds like you are asking about reverse replication.  Provided you have set it up right, as it sounds like you have, then the callback works the same way: in the server-side class methods script of the class with the reverse replicated field you would define

Code: [Select]
shared function _OnReplicationFieldUpdated( replicatedNode as NodeRef, fieldName as String)

to act when the field changes value.

One more thing to make reverse replication work which is easy to miss is done on the server side:
For each player account that will be reverse replicating you need to get the _ReplicationGroup nodeRef that is responsible for replicating the node with the field(s) in question and on that group node set the _replicationNodesAndReverseClient field, something like this:

group._replicationNodesAndReverseClient[nodeRefWithFields] = playerAccountNode

There are some convenience methods which wrap some of that (such as _SetReverseReplicationForNode()), but we found we liked having more direct control and so work on the _replicationNodesAndReverseClient field directly.
See here for more details:
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Replication_Script_Interface#Replication_Group_Fields

I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 13, 10:15:16 PM by ScottZarnke »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

feredfn

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 13, 12:42:41 AM »

To Thazager,

Thx mate , i also wrote such code at the moment because i wasn't manage to work with the reverse technique , but i just think using reverse technique of replication is what i want , because i want to do some calculations and visual changes depending on field updating on some class methods .. plus somehow i think its a little faster than call server ...

To ScottZarnke , 
Thx mate, seems that i will be able to fix the problem with ur help , i will work on it today , ...

Cheers

feredfn

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 13, 07:54:49 AM »

Well it worked , Thank you...
But i have a question, seems that every time i change the area , i must add the node with those fields to the account replication group again to make reverse call back working..

is this a normal situation? or i missed something?

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 13, 12:13:49 PM »

Well it worked , Thank you...
But i have a question, seems that every time i change the area , i must add the node with those fields to the account replication group again to make reverse call back working..

is this a normal situation? or i missed something?

Yes that is normal.  Since server-side nodes exist in exactly one area instance GOM at-a-time, when you change areas, the node you were referring to does not exist in the new area instance.

There are workarounds such as replicating a proxy of the node to the other instance*, but that may be more work than it is worth depending on how you are using it.

*That is how the same single account and character nodes can be continually referenced as you change areas: server-to-server replication.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 13, 12:15:21 PM by ScottZarnke »
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.