HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Hit the same surface twice??  (Read 1902 times)

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
Hit the same surface twice??
« on: Jan 05, 14, 03:13:20 AM »

After uploading my last art assets , houses with internal walls, ceilings, floors, stairs and external shell, i found i would get this error

!ERROR!System:GROUNDING WARNING! Hit the same surface twice?? Origin(-34.307952881,-0.575215653,-15.045324326)

when walking inside (all surfaces while on a height map , just the upper floor and roof with out a height map under it). This appears to be caused by overlapping surfaces.

How are people handling multi - floored buildings normally within the engine, assuming you get the same error i do ? currently I am trying to make a jump from a very prototype asset system , which works but can lead to silly draw calls, to a more rigid set that pays off graphically

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
Re: Hit the same surface twice??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 14, 03:46:10 AM »

So i tried splitting my house asset into 3 pieces , lower floor , upper floor , and external shell

individually the upper and lower floors work fine , when you stack them the error re appears. I have 3rd party assets that work ok , its just the stuff i have made myself.

Any ideas what i might be doing wrong?

Edit : after a while of playing with settings , have discovered that if you set the poly type on the hero shader to ignore for the ceiling texture the error does not occur, however in 3rd person view the camera no longer auto adjusts. As i am aiming for a FPS game this is not too big a issue for me , but i would still like to understand why i am getting that error
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 14, 04:21:52 AM by WorldWideZ »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 14, 11:30:44 AM »

Can you describe more in depth exactly what causes the error? You say you have third party assets that work fine, do you mean other multi-floored buildings?

I'll check with the engineers on that particular error.  If it is only occurring with certain assets, I'd be curious to see what exactly is the cause.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 14, 01:13:58 PM »

Do you have a colliding texture on both sides of a poly? That error comes when the engine attempts to place the character, but realizes that there are 2 surfaces at the exact same position, which normally means either a world building error (two heightmaps in the same place) or a character controller error.

It looks like that setup is creating to collision planes at exactly the same position.

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 14, 01:40:34 PM »

Thanks cooper , i think thats what i have done. I shall do some testing tonight / tomorrow and confirm this.

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 14, 06:12:26 PM »

Yup thats fixed it thanks guys!