HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Game World Shuts down after inactvity  (Read 1227 times)

Voarsh

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Game World Shuts down after inactvity
« on: Jan 07, 14, 09:02:19 PM »

The Game World shuts down after "inactivity" ( when no one is logged in). This can be very annoying and wouldn't be right if my game was in production.

Can this be altered?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Game World Shuts down after inactvity
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 14, 10:06:15 PM »

All development worlds shutdown after inactivity. The setup and hardware for the live version of your product would obviously be different. :-)

Voarsh

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 14, 04:09:49 AM »

Does this mean I will HAVE to buy the full, download version for me to host?

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 14, 04:33:30 AM »

The dev servers are virtualized on server clusters to save space and resources. production servers for live games are completely different.

just so you know the forum has most of this information already on it , and if not here in the wiki. both have search functions , and googles site search is also equally good and finding the topics you want.

PN-Dwight

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Pirates' Nest
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 14, 05:17:51 AM »

Does this mean I will HAVE to buy the full, download version for me to host?

While still in production:
- You would have to buy the full license in order to host it on your own server and do what you want with it

While being live:
- Servers are provided for you and won't shut down due to inactivity (when not profitable, of course Idea Fabrik will not host the servers for you after 1 year of being live ["alive" would be a better wording, I reckon].

Hosting your own servers will be around 1500 dollars a month of course :)

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 14, 11:04:24 AM »

in development it's just a small virtual slice that many other devs share. When your world isn't used it spins down to save on overall costs.

When you move over to an alpha / beta stage you get moved to different hardware. With different "rule sets". If you are wanting to change that before alpha / beta. You can buy source or managed server options with HE-Devs.

Overally I wouldn't worry about  it one bit. Doesn't affect anything in your game world, and while it can be slightly annoying it's also really helpful, cause sometimes things require your world to kinda reboot to clean themselves up with. aka you make a change that jacks up the physics or such, and that gets bugged out etc. Often times a world spin down and up clears a bunch of that stuff up.
So it has it's advantages as well.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]