HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Internet-Connected Art Server  (Read 1455 times)

Alex

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Internet-Connected Art Server
« on: Jul 09, 11, 02:35:20 PM »

I have an issue in that the artists on my team are in California and New York, and I am not one of them (well, ok, I am probably going to wind up doing some texturing at a minimum).  The documentation that I see in the wiki indicates we can setup a NAS drive if everyone was on the same network; this'd work if we were all in the same building, let alone state.

If I were to setup a NAS on my home network with ginormous capacity, then establish some port forwarding on my router, can we make it work right?  I don't think it'd work well because I have dynamic IP.

Failing that, could I maybe rent an FTP server to be the Art Server, and just give connection information to my team?

If both can be done, which would be easier?
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 02:49:22 PM by HE-Cooper »

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: Internet-Connected Art Server
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 11, 08:02:36 AM »

As far as setting up an Art Server for sharing among people remotely, something we have experimented with is setting up a folder using Dropbox.  You can create your hierarchy and share people on the root folder, and I think it should work.  We have been using Dropbox for file sharing in general for some time now and it works well.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

HE-ANDY

• World Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 11, 09:34:59 AM »

I've enjoyed the use of Dropbox for years now.  (Proviso: I haven't run an art server on it, because I art a programmer and not an artist.)

It seems to work rather well, especially when using its shared folder mode.

--A

CollierC

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 11, 11:24:56 PM »

After considering Dropbox or lipsync, we ended up giving PlasticSCM a shot.
www.plasticscm.com

So far it's lovely. You run a proxy server locally and once you're ready you can push your work to the central server. They're planning on adding SSL support, but we just tunnel over SSH to make sure everything is encrypted.

It's a commercial tool, but it's free for the first 15 users. And it runs on Linux, OSX, and windows which is a bonus.

I swear I don't work for them! hehe Honestly, I have no idea if it won't set your hair on fire or anything.