HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: My first few steps into hero engine (player accounts and clients)  (Read 2925 times)

Cognition

• World Owners
    • View Profile

Hello!

So I'm checking out hero engine (Got the cheap herocloud $99 sub) and I'm trying to figure out the first initial bit of it which to me is creation of a client and player accounts.

So far I've been able to download the 'Generic Player Client' and connect to my server using my admin account but I'm wondering how can I add player accounts to the game? and I'm also wondering if I'll be able to build my own player client or do I just package this generic one?

Thanks for the help!

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed

Not  to put you  off but you have not got a production server for players to log in to. You have got a development server to develop you game on , and its going to be a while before you can let players near it.

I would suggest running through the terrain tutorials , import a character and animations , learn enough about scripting to write a AI routine and a inventory system, before thinking about having players.

Cognition

• World Owners
    • View Profile

yea, that's what I'm starting to understand. The engine is pretty easy to work with but its a pretty heavy put off to not be able to have a few testers, because even marginally complex behavior is going to need to be tested on a few clients at the same time to see if things are syncing correctly. I guess there had to be a catch somewhere.

Tarra2012

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

I do vote for WWZs post.
First implement some basic systems. (inventory,skills,triggered doors,mobspawners,quests,chat,xp)
Then let testers come. Until then you probably got some month++ work and afterwards you can
judge better how the engine behaves and how its underlying concepts are best used.

Tip:
The CLI Commands for live node inspection (/sn /sp \sn \sp) are worth looking into.
They are a quite remarkable feature allowing understanding/debugging of HE.
http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Cli

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 14, 12:59:30 PM by Tarra2012 »

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed

you can test out most principals with 2 clients , and then use a bit of math to work out how it will scale. the time will come to test stuff , but as it costs a bunch of money to run a production server you have to get as much right as possible before you move to that phase.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online

So here is my suggestion, take a bit of time get use to the engine, write out a few basic systems, like player chat, build out a small play area, get some assets loaded, play around with particles, etc. Get some general systems in place. Note they don't need to be the full on systems, just get started.

After you get aquainted and are use to the engine, then you can upgrade your subscription to include additional developer seats. That will allow additional people into your world at the same time to play test.

Their is a generic player client that will connect to your game world and will act just like a go live client. You can use this and the settings in the account management system to grant access to a few people for play testing your world / systems.

That will get you a good start, without costing much money, and will help you step into HeroEngine, which is the best way to do it. slowly step into it and take time learning it. Making a MMO is a challenge, will require lots of work, and more but the great news is HeroEngine has all the tools you will need to pull it off, if you have the patience and time to make it happen.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Cognition

• World Owners
    • View Profile

Yea, I'm aware its a massive undertaking, I've been a game developer for almost 11 years now ;)

Really to the point all I want is 'tester accounts' people that cant edit, but can use the 'Generic Player Client', I'd even be willing to pay an amount for accounts that just do that, but I $299 for 10 users, when most of them will just be testing is alittle painful.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online

you can configure them to have zero edit rights, but still be able to test.

I agree the $299 is a bit much, but it helps cover the server loads, bandwidth, etc.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Cognition

• World Owners
    • View Profile

Yea, I figured thats what it was, really it seems like a 'premium' to make up for the cost of smaller projects ;)

Honestly, I'd be completely happy tester accounts that can only play. that cost like $25 each.