HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: facegen help  (Read 3058 times)

exile_development

• World Owners
    • View Profile
facegen help
« on: Feb 12, 14, 12:14:06 AM »

ok so it says i get a copy of facegen with hero engine im just wondering how do i get it ? and do i have to have the engine or dose the sub cover this

yes this is a noob question but i'm kinda lost

thanks in advance :)

feredfn

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: facegen help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 14, 12:20:03 AM »

Hello ,
I think if you are starting to work on your models and facegen integration this link from wiki is best which i can say ,..
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/FaceGen_Tutorial

and don't worry about noob questions we are started with these questions too, but i highly recommend you to  search in forums and the Wiki, it quickly helps you on most of topics so you don't need to wait for some one to reply you here :P

exile_development

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 14, 12:30:13 AM »

FaceGen is a third-party application. When you run Customizer.exe, you will be given a request code and prompted to enter an authorization code. This request code should be sent to support@facegen.com along with your licensee information, and they will send back and authorization code for the customizer.

where do i find this licensee information, is this my Hero engine licensee information or for facegen ...

feredfn

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 14, 12:33:32 AM »

well , i guess that's for source owners ,..
If you own the cloud license then u don't need to care about this :) and follow the link i gave you for FaceGen tutorial.
or this for Max version http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Setting_up_a_Facegen_Dynamic_Character_with_Facegen_Tools

EDIT COOPER: You simply email facegen to acquire the customizer. Just stick with the facegen page of the wiki.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 14, 12:39:12 AM by HE-Cooper »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 14, 12:37:40 AM »

You simply email facegen saying you have a HeroCloud license under your name and email.
The tools linked to above are mainly there for reference.

Just follow all of the information on the Facegen page of the wiki:
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Facegen

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 14, 01:19:28 PM »

The Max FaceGen tool has been removed from the art pipeline as it was extremely broken.  It originally was made as an internal-use-only tool and was released with the pipeline as-is.  After a point it was rendered entirely useless by updates to 3DS Max.  That wiki page will be marked as deprecated.

The FaceGen implementation we have is powerful, but extremely difficult to use. The documentation is out of date as few users have attempted to utilize the system and other priorities have had priority.  Some of the docs refer to how source licensees used to access the system and can be confusing.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I will gladly walk you through the process.

That aside, if you can design your game to not need facegen style morphing, it will save you a lot of time and frustration.  Consider a style like Borderlands 2, where you have swappable heads for each class and a color palate swapping feature.  You can create excellent and very personalized characters without the use of morphing.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 14, 02:34:27 PM »

Using script, I am able to get facegen moving the base female character (that comes with Hero Engine) to move and reshape the face, and the body width - this tutorial. But we have not been able to get any of our characters able to do the same and show modification from it.
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 14, 03:02:30 PM »

You mean you've been able to write scripts to interface with the existing facegen setup on that character? Gotcha.

Post a thread in the art forum about what exactly your team has tried - step by step and where the process breaks down, etc. 

Do you get all the way into the engine just to have it not work when you manipulate the sliders in the dynamic character manager UI?  Do you not get sliders?  Are you getting errors? Or are you not able to follow the process to create the files in the first place?  Post a topic and we can go from there :)

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 14, 04:24:59 PM »

and just a point to make with facegen. While people love to make boobs slide bigger and smaller, most gamers do that the first time they make a character, and from that point on really never go back and make special changes to their alts, beyond a few possible toggle / swap parts. So I suggest you really thinking if facegen is really worth it at all.

Yes it will be a yeah feature, but the moment your characters put gear on it pretty much goes away, and no one really cares if they are fat or skinny, and you can still give them a few defaults of fat and skinny, boobs or pecks, etc. Just make them set swap options, aka parts.

That way you cut your character load in half, cause if I recall doesn't having facegen cause the entire player to have to render basically twice? I think I read that in the wiki somewhere, assuming it's still valid.

With how strong the parts system is with the exception of having minor tweaks no real use to force a facegen setup.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 14, 10:23:32 PM »

You mean you've been able to write scripts to interface with the existing facegen setup on that character? Gotcha.
Yes, that is the part I worked on. The others on team will be able to add more detail with art.
Lead scripter for EO, Repop helper.
HSL Video tutorials:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,1719.msg36858.html#msg3685