HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: occlusion culls and frame rate  (Read 4840 times)

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: occlusion culls and frame rate
« Reply #30 on: Feb 21, 14, 03:22:17 PM »

Have you set up simplified occluder objects for the houses?  I the same way that it saves processing to use a simplified mesh for collisions in physics using custom occluders instead of the mesh itself will save processing time.

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #31 on: Feb 21, 14, 11:36:14 PM »

On a related note, when using multiple should the meshes just touch other, or is some overlapping ok?  And does the same apply to using collision meshes too?
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #32 on: Feb 22, 14, 01:25:51 AM »

Will have to play around with simplified occluders , that sounds like it might aid the system. I am also trying to fit less assets per area , mainly because although the 60 fps is ok on my machine thats going to cut 80% of systems from being able to play. And thats also before adding a horde of zombies on top  of the scene.

I have been finding that if you make a complex area and then seamless link other complex areas , the frames per second seem to take a larger hit , even where areas are not visible. For example the street scene in isolation runs fine , but surround it by streets and its no longer able to run at those fast speeds. This is probably due to my terrible home made assets :P

Splitting stuff up more , having more "empty" areas that have dynamic details between stuff and using the height map more as a occluder seems to be working for me, my latest farm map averages at 100 fps (for a long view) even with seamless areas loaded around it , and i have some concepts in my head how to expand the doctrine in to a town area.
Pages: 1 2 [3]