HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: HE backend Source meets Unreal Front end?  (Read 2324 times)

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
HE backend Source meets Unreal Front end?
« on: Apr 05, 14, 10:37:10 PM »

So what crazy would it be if someone was to use the unreal source and the HE source and mixed / matched the best from both?

Just a crazy converstation a few friends have had. Would it even be feasible, would it be practical, would it be able to be managed as a fork of either?

Add your thoughts below.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: HE backend Source meets Unreal Front end?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 14, 10:43:42 PM »

We'd need to pay double the revenue share? :P
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

feredfn

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 14, 01:01:32 AM »

I guess you ask this because you want a better client which has many effects such as blur and sunshine etc :P I believe HE will add all those interesting effects and shaders soon,... at least i hope it,...
Your idea is also interesting but i think it would require huge amount of programming skills plus high knowledge about both engines and lot of time, which i think i would rather to spend this time on creating my contents and scripts entirely in HE and waiting for HE  client implementation to give us better access to  effects and graphics :P...
But again i guess with having source , you can do that , or either you can create your client with XNA etc..

Anyway CryEngine is also impressive in term of client side effects and graphics,...

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 14, 03:43:22 AM by feredfn »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 14, 01:22:21 AM »

We get asked pretty often. It's more complicated than it sounds, mainly because of how integrated the heroengine toolset is into the architecture. Real time, collaborative, no builds, etc. The process would essentially be to sever the existing client from the server, putting something akin to sockets between them. Then write a protocol converting common unreal usages and methodologies into something the server and the database and all the data formats the heroengine uses would understand.

You would essentially be left with the unreal engine and a powerful and scalable distributed computing platform that could use the concept of areas as discrete units of server simulation. It's not a crazy idea, but some would argue that the team capable of doing that conversion well, might be just as good at writing something smaller and more specifically created for the backend needs if that project.

I suppose the flipside would be to simply gut the renderer and put Unreal's in in its place. But I'm unclear as to how much "tool" and script and settings work would have to go along with that.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 14, 01:31:09 PM »

We had a former 38 Studios employee on the team awhile back. Copernicus used Bigworld server architecture and Unreal's renderer. He said it was a very very long process for the two companies to come to an agreement on the licensing terms. Also said it was an extremely buggy hybrid, even up to when they went bankrupt even. He felt a lot of time and money was wasted trying to make the a hybrid of the two engines. Also what Amanda said is very true, by the time you launch, you will be paying too much royalties :) .

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 14, 07:54:15 AM »

the license terms would be a bit simplier in todays world. The 5% take from Unreal would be manageable. And mainly thinking the core rendering part / options. I know HE is working on getting there. I by no means have the time or energy or resources to pull it off.

However... this came up cause a few people know of HE's powerful backend and know that Unreal has everything but a super strong backend. If the two were to smash into each other that would be impressive. So there is a decent amount of chatter over on the unreal realm of making something like that happen. Which is why my friends hit me up on the notion, since they know I understand HE pretty well.

I agreed it would be a huge undertaking, not for the light hearted, but it's semi common word around game developers that a few games are doing something similar. aka taking HE backend and putting their own front ends on it. Not an easy, or fruitful task for anyone, but once done potentially a large advantage.

But as mentioned would it be possible to work out the license terms between the two in which it could be made redistributable. Granted both would want to have the user buy sources, but I think in most cases the end users wouldn't mind.

Like I said was mostly a crazy thought / push more from the unreal side, looking to gain the HE side.
More so than the HE side needing the unreal side. (thought if they had it........) and yes I've kept eye on everything posting, they are getting there, and seems sooner than not, while not instant does appear in next few years they will have it set up and ready to go, and hopefully dx12 won't be as large of a rework etc.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 14, 03:36:08 PM »

Something like a merger or buyout from one company of the other? The combined effort of a merger could be very lucrative for both companies, but the buyout could potentially hurt one side. I would be in favor of a merger, not only for the benefit of the companies, but also for the many groups making projects.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 14, 10:57:09 PM »

not so much a buy out or a merger,

Just a convergence of technology, not to say it's an arm's race but... with unreal shoving full source access around and a bunch of developers, some of which really talented looking to shove a MMO style backend into Unreal.

And it being common knowledge that quite a few development houses have took HE backend and slammed a custom render option into it. It's only time before someone tries to take it a bit farther and look at taking unreal source and using it to build a new client front end system for HE, in regards to rendering etc.

I know it's a huge nightmarish task, but it's also one that well for lack of full knowledge the HE devs are doing with their addition of new material options, dx11, and more. While it will be a process and time consumption from their side. It's possible so if they can do it, i'm sure others will at least ponder trying. Well i know they are, they been asking questions of me a lot about HE. lol