HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Converting to latest version  (Read 8715 times)

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Triad Game Studios, LLC.
Converting to latest version
« on: Apr 09, 14, 02:54:56 AM »

Good evening/Morning,
I have two issues right now.
I was wondering if there was something wrong with the error/warning reporting or the latest export for max?
I have re-exported about 30% of our models, and a few new ones in the last two days and I am still receiving these warnings. I have double and triple checked to make sure that I have the latest version, as well as deleting everything in the artpipeline directory and replacing (instead of overwriting).

I also notice that there are several warnings for materials/textures that ARE power of 2, yet a warning is coming up for some of those. It varies from textures that are 512x512, to 512x768 and so on.

Any hints or tips for me?

Thank you,
Sarrene'

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Converting to latest version
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 14, 10:36:10 AM »

Hmmmm.  So you're saying that some models re-exported with the 2014 pipeline are still claiming to be the older version and performing the update (as indicated in the console)?  And this is happening with all of the models you've re/exported with the new pipeline?

Just to be sure, have you restarted Max since updating the pipeline?  If you open one of the assets in the HeroEngine viewer, what is the version number of the exporter?

I'm not able to reproduce the behavior, so it may be a sneaky local issue of some sort.

As to the textures, 768 (for example) is not a power of 2. It is a multiple, but not a power.  I'm not sure if the check that is performed changed or was just made visible in the console.  I'll check with yon engineers on that.

If you can show me an example of a 512x512 texture generating the warning, then that is something to look into.

ToY-Krun

• General Accounts
  • Support Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 14, 01:05:22 PM »

We had the same problem. 

The issue was our doing.  In initially setting up the pipeline, the directory had been customized and was not in the
default location. 

Solution:

Make sure your updated pipeline directory for 2014.2  is in fact the directory you are pointing Max (or maya) to.

Open max (or maya) and double check the Custom User Settings to insure you're pointing it to the right place for the exporter and startup scripts.

Hope it helps.

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 14, 03:31:07 PM »

While i work on solving a bit of this, I have another question for you boss (Bennett).
What does this warning mean exactly:
""Converting pointer size from 64 to 32.  This is EXTREMELY SLOW!""

Texture dimensions:
In regards to the 512x512, I have not seen this last night or this morning. So it may have been a hick up. However, I will keep an eye out to see if that pops up again. I am currently sorting through everything to see what i can fix.

Power f 2:
Power of two.. All I can say is "duh" and thank you. I was a wee bit confused there, as I am sure you guessed. It has been a long few months for me. I can use that as an excuse, yes?

Models being converted:
For models, yes, I have restarted max many times over the last week. So it is not that. I will double check to see if anything moved or changed in the art pipeline though for the exports.
I also have mine on a custom drive just for this project. That should not cause an issue should it?

Viewer:
For the viewer version, Though a bit difficult to read with the spacing, I do believe it says 2.9.
I have noticed that if I try to view older assets I get a message that the asset is corrupted. I presume this is because of the older version. If I view assets with the latest art pipeline, then I have no problem seeing them in the viewer.

Thank you, I will report back once I track down what I am able and see what issues I still have. I appreciate it very much.

Peace,
Sarrene'

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 14, 10:38:39 AM »

Whoa, what?  You should still be able to view older assets in the new viewer.  That may be another issue in and of itself...  I'll see if I can repro.

I was looking for the exporter version, though. When you look at one of these new or newly exported assets in the viewer, there is a line in the "File List" tab called "Exporter".  It should say something like "HeroEngine Exporter (custom), SDK version 2.9.x.0 ...."  What is the SDK version number of the assets you've exported with the new pipeline?

As long as the paths are all set right (and unless you've moved your folder/have other copies lying around/something weird - the paths must be right since you CAN export :P) then NO, having the pipeline on an external drive doesn't matter.

I assume ""Converting pointer size from 64 to 32.  This is EXTREMELY SLOW!"" is something you're seeing in the console? is it paired with any other output?

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 14, 02:54:16 PM »

Well, good news. The corrupted message is not occurring on the HeroEngineArtPipeline2014.2, but I had to find someone that still had the new old.. (or would it be old new?) HeroEngineArtPipeline2014.1 It does happen on there. However, since it was replace, not a problem.
My apologies, I should have tried again with the new updated version first.

Asset export and warnings:
I have double checked and yes, everything in n max is correct. I still have assets coming up with the converting warning that i have converted. I will try once more with the full set again. 5th time is a charm?
Here is an example of assets I have re-exported with the newest artpipeline plugin:
Code: [Select]
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/assets/architecture/abyomon/nyota/build_nyota2_13.hgm], "Converting to latest version."
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/assets/architecture/abyomon/nyota/build_nyota2_13_int.hgm], "Converting to latest version."
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/assets/architecture/abyomon/nyota/build_nyota2_12.hgm], "Converting to latest version."
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/assets/architecture/abyomon/nyota/build_nyota2_12_int.hgm], "Converting to latest version."
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/assets/architecture/abyomon/nyota/build_nyota2_03.hgm], "Converting to latest version."
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/assets/architecture/abyomon/nyota/build_nyota2_03_int.hgm], "Converting to latest version."
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/assets/architecture/abyomon/nyota/build_nyota2_01.hgm], "Converting to latest version."
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/assets/architecture/abyomon/nyota/build_nyota2_01_int.hgm], "Converting to latest version."
Do note that with these, I do not get the warnings below.

For the Converting warnings:
Yes they are. These are associated with assets from models to dynamic detail meshes. However, I can only see them associated with assets I have not re-exported.
!WARNING!graphics:Warning: [/world/livecontent/assets/common/com_bedroll_00.hgm], "Converting pointer size from 64 to 32.  This is EXTREMELY SLOW!"
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/assets/common/com_bedroll_00.hgm], "Converting to latest version."
!WARNING!graphics:Warning: [/world/livecontent/assets/common/com_brazier_21.hgm], "Converting pointer size from 64 to 32.  This is EXTREMELY SLOW!"
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/assets/common/com_brazier_21.hgm], "Converting to latest version."
!WARNING!graphics:Warning: [/world/livecontent/assets/light/light_lamp_oil_01.hgm], "Converting pointer size from 64 to 32.  This is EXTREMELY SLOW!"
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/assets/light/light_lamp_oil_01.hgm], "Converting to latest version."
!WARNING!graphics:Warning: [/world/livecontent/assets/books/bk_book_lg_002-open.hgm], "Converting pointer size from 64 to 32.  This is EXTREMELY SLOW!"
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/assets/books/bk_book_lg_002-open.hgm], "Converting to latest version."

And it continues like that fr those that I have not re-exported with the new art pipeline. Sadly though, in one area we have 183 of those. So it takes quite a while for everything to catch up. About 15 minutes or so, then FPS is back to a semi decent pace. I presume that this has to do with the warning logging and converting, yes?

So out of curiosity and thirst for knowledge, what exactly does this "64 to 32" mean and do?

Thank you,
Sarrene'

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 14, 03:12:51 PM »

For assets that haven't been re-exported, then let's not worry about them throwing error messages, as that's intended, but for converted assets still claiming to be converted, it sounds like it has to be a local setup problem, otherwise we would more than likely have a widespread problem. Though Max would certainly be the less used toolset, so that could account for it, if it's some outlying case we aren't accounting for.

Easy check, just have someone else grab the same hgm, export in the latest pipeline, and upload. preferably to a new location just to have both cases to look at.

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 14, 04:46:48 PM »

Well, sadly, i'm the only artist, and i have made all the assets myself over the last 2.5+ years. So the later is not really an option right now. If I had another artist, then I would have tried that for sure.

I will see if i can find someone that is willing to give a test run though from another team that has max.

So, I realize that assets that have not been re-exported yet will have these warnings. I was asking about the "64-32" out of curiosity and to better understand the changes and how things work. So out of curiosity and thirst for knowledge, what exactly does this "64 to 32" mean and do?

I will report if i can find someone else to help out and give a test run on an asset to see if that works or not.

Sarrene'

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 14, 10:24:49 PM »

Good evening,
I tried a new asset and I still get the same thing. I even uninstalled max and reinstalled it before hand. I tried on another system as well with a fresh install of max. What I got this time is the following:
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/Assets/Architecture/Abyomon/wall/nyota_wall3_memorial_01.hgm], "Converting to latest version."
!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [unknown], "Converting to latest version."

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Sarrene'

NinjaMedic

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • Era Of Time
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 14, 12:05:44 AM »

!WARNING!graphics:PERFORMANCE WARNING: [/world/livecontent/assets/tester/boxgrass01.hgm], "Converting to latest version."

I am getting this warning when i import into my world
The Ninja

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 14, 09:39:22 AM »

Sarrene, could you please send a simple Max scene file that contains an asset that exhibits these problems to support@heroengine.com?  If you could also include the current HGM export of the asset (that gives the warnings/conversion) that would be very helpful.  I'll see if I can repro the issue with your assets.

Eagleheart

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 14, 11:48:42 AM »

Ok i just checked this for Serrene on my world since i only have like 3 custom assets imported i just updated to the 2014-2 zip file form the forums coped and pasted all that in the to the art pipeline folder over writing all the files and i get the same error when adding a assets.

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 14, 12:48:12 PM »

Email and asset with texture sent. Please do not judge, that is a very old model i have been working on, but it is simple. :)

Thank you,
Sarrene'

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 14, 01:15:42 PM »

I am able to export the asset you sent me and load it in HeroBlade without a conversion warning.

I really need a specific answer to the question I asked before, what does the viewer report as the SDK version number for the exported asset?

When you look at one of these new or newly exported assets in the viewer, there is a line in the "File List" tab called "Exporter".  It should say something like "HeroEngine Exporter (custom), SDK version 2.9.x.0 ...."  What is the SDK version number of the assets you've exported with the new pipeline?

Also important, is anyone using 32-bit Max?  What year and bit version are each of you using?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 14, 01:50:27 PM »

Bennet, just do me a favor and double check that the art pipeline currently hosted on the account page is in fact identical to the one you and I are using. :-)
Pages: [1] 2