HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: So I copied the Ability system, Combatant, and CombatUtils over from HJRef....  (Read 1727 times)

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO

How crazy am I?

That system is amazing. There is no way I would have been able to create such a system with out first doing this. For me looking at the HE scripts that come installed was really misleading in regards to how I should approach building my systems.

Copying took me about 1.5 years working on my spare time.  It probably came out to be 50-60 solid days of actual work. ( 60 * 24 = 1440 hours )

I have the majority tested and I am aware that probably 10%-30% is broken but I left it that way so I can come to that when I am designing my personal game mechanics. For instance some activators don't work, some of the spec decorators are not converted or working, and the majority of the combat effects decorators have not been tested but should be working.

It was a ton of work just copying it and converting it but it opened my eyes to how you build things for an MMO! Specially in HE. I feel now I have had an in depth training on how to build systems in HE.

My next plan is to create an Item system along side the HJRef Item system. This time with out copying any code over but looking to it for guidance. In reality this is probably still 3-6 months out for me as I continue to test this combat system and work a little more on the death/combat events. On top of that my estimate to build an item system is at 4-8 months or 30 days worked. My estimate is based on reviewing the item system already in HJRef to the amount of time it took to bring over what I have already.

I figured HE wouldn't mind since they only make money if I do. I don't mind giving a bigger percentage for having copied this over either. I am just stoked that I am that much closer to having a game I can invite others to come in and test with me.

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 14, 02:48:48 PM by nocake »

feredfn

• General Accounts
    • View Profile

The script language isn't really that hard, yes it looks a little unique at the beginning but with having some previous coding experience i think you can quickly learn it.... 
I totally disagree with just copy that , one day you will require a system which does not exist in HJ ref...

Good to know you want to write your next system your self :) ,.. HE community will also help you as soon as you ask .

Cheers

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO

It involves far more than just the language.

I would venture to say that is uses every single aspect of the HeroEngine except some visual things.

Copying it by no means was just a way to obtain a system. It was a way to explore how they designed a major system in HE. One that I estimate took a team of 2-4 people 3 years to make and that was with lots of prior knowledge on how to build MMO's.

My estimate on a robust system that can handle as much the HJRef combat and ability system would be around a million dollars if not more. That would be made up of a team of people who have had years of experience in these systems. Would be curious as to what the HE staff has seen other communities, or even themselves, run in expenses for these systems.

I feel like I got a huge insider look at how the industry handles dealing with these systems and a look at how to manage the data. (some of the comments were hilarious as well)

I wouldn't recommend what I did to anyone unless they know they are dedicated to learning this new system and can problem solve fairly easy error messages. Like I said in my original message it took me 1.5 years of my spare time to complete this. I broke my game environment for a long time but I walked away having touched every system in HE. (i think)

« Last Edit: Apr 15, 14, 04:50:19 AM by nocake »