HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Mesh cannot be found error. Skeleton issue in Maya?  (Read 3187 times)

PumpkinOnline

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Mesh cannot be found error. Skeleton issue in Maya?
« on: May 08, 14, 08:34:08 PM »

So I've been trying to figure this out for awhile and our asset is coming up invisible and HeroEngine is printing the error " [my file path]/ meshes cannot be found

Keep in mind we've successfully imported animations before in the engine. It's just that we have a different guy setting up the rigs and animations. And something is going on with his animations versus our other guy whose animations work just fine.

What I have tested and realized was NOT the problem is:

1. I've double checked the file path, it works fine.
2. double checked the .dds texture works fine on other models
3. Checked the size, the size is fine.
4. The animations itself is not the problem I have tried exporting without any animation, even as a static mesh... still invisible and same error with only the polygons selected (export selected) same error
5. Yes we've also removed all the handlers etc. before we exported.
6. This is not a character we're trying to export. It's just a sheep with it's head bobbing up and down, it's not an npc. We just need to test out a moving animations.

What I've narrowed down what the issue is:

We're using Maya, I realized that the model only shows up if I delete the rigging on it entirely in the file.
Even if I try to export as a
- static mesh (visible)
or
- static mesh (selected)

with the skeleton off to the side or hidden. As long as the skeleton is in the file even if I don't select it to be exported. The meshes on the model cannot be found

it gives the same error, and imports invisible in the engine. I have had to completely delete the skeleton and only then did the model show up in the engine.

SOoo.... Is there something involved in the rigging process that we need to keep in mind for HeroEngine? Is something maybe locked? Is there an option turned on that is interfering with the process? If anyone can give us any kinds of leads on what's going on it will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 08, 14, 08:52:58 PM by PumpkinOnline »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Mesh cannot be found error. Skeleton issue in Maya?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 14, 09:59:39 AM »

So, you're attempting to export this sheep as an animated asset, yes?  Except for the attempt at exporting it as a static mesh, that is.

What version of Maya and what version of the pipeline are you using?

As far as I know, there shouldn't be anything that causes that sort of behavior.  Would you mind sending us the scene file that contains the sheep asset (in it's original, not-exporting-correctly state) so I can take a look at it? You can email it to our support@heroengine.com address.

PumpkinOnline

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 14, 06:52:19 AM »

Thanks a bunch email sent :)

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 14, 10:56:17 AM »

I've located the issue.  Basically, you've got too many groups and it is confusing the exporter when it is recording how many meshes exist.  It eventually finds the meshes, which is why the file appears to work in the viewer, but not in time to record the data properly.

To export it properly, you should simply be able to select the mesh itself and use the "export selected" option.  In my testing that resulted in a properly working asset.