HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Animated Asset problem  (Read 9227 times)

SilverkeyPhilippopoulos

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Animated Asset problem
« on: Apr 22, 14, 01:32:02 PM »

I have a fairly dumb problem,

I want to make a simple animated asset, a hook on a rope (2 objects attached to eachother) swinging from side to side.
nothing special, I've made signs swinging from side to side. no big deal.

But with this recent pipeline update (2014.2) It went wrong.
It would only pick up half of the animation and the other half the object would go off centre in a random direction

(don't mind the textures, just made a quick animated thing)

It should stay within the blue bounding box but as you can see, it just... leaves it for the other half of the animation. I can make a video if my explanation is unclear :)

(I've also had the "converting to latest version" error with the latest pipeline. But saw that Cooper and Bennett already took notice of this problem.

-Philippopoulos

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Animated Asset problem
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 14, 09:27:31 AM »

What version of Max or Maya are you using?

I'm not sure I'm following, a video would definitely be helpful.

SilverkeyPhilippopoulos

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 14, 11:09:17 AM »

I'm using 3DS max 2013. And I'll make a video ASAP

SilverkeyPhilippopoulos

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 14, 12:59:26 PM »

Here's the video!

http://youtu.be/QOjajCOctv0

I used the wrong textures for the hook in the end, that's why it is flashing.
(the music was unintentional. I was listening to it, while recording the segments, I thought it added a little humor to it all afterwards)
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 14, 03:34:58 PM by SilverkeyPhilippopoulos »

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 14, 10:46:20 AM »

Happy accidents like the music are always fun.  Welp.  That should definitely not be happening, thanks for the demonstration.  I'll take a look and see if I can reproduce the issue.

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 14, 12:37:32 PM »

I am not able to reproduce the behavior with a simple oscillating rectangle.  Perhaps there is an issue with your local configuration.  Create a test area in your world with a the example assets and let me know what it is called.  I'll jump in and take a look.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 14, 01:06:08 PM »

It looks to me like the various exports are only grabbing part of the timeline. Are you doing something odd in the setup process in Maya or Max? Like using multiple animations for a single animated object?

SilverkeyPhilippopoulos

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 14, 01:07:37 PM »

I've made a few (11) more animated assets and 10 of them are picking up half of the animation or are falling out of their animation/bounding box. Like the last hook in my example video.
I've put them into a world, simply called "Animation-Test".

The assets that DO work are in a corner somewhere, including a sign I made before that worked re-exported with 2014.2 pipeline. The other assets are in the middle, except for 4 of them. Cause 1 is crawling away, the other 3 are... I guess rowing their way into freedom.  The only one that worked was the 10th asset I made.

Some assets are made out of one single object (box) others are multiple objects attached to eachother, making them one single object.

Ehm, I don't think I am doing something odd. Just give them one animation as far as I know.

Thanks for helping so far btw :)

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 14, 10:42:08 AM »

I don't see anything particularly unusual in the HeroBlade or examining some of the test assets in the viewer.

Could you please send (email to support@heroengine.com) a Max scene file that contains an animated asset that exports correctly and one which exports incorrectly? 

SilverkeyPhilippopoulos

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 14, 08:28:02 AM »

Email sent :)

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 14, 01:51:48 PM »

I am able to export both assets you sent with the animation fully intact.  Can you please attempt to export the two assets from those exact scene files you sent us?  I had the timeline showing frames 0-100. 

When you do so, do they look correct when viewed in the HeroEngine Viewer?

If you split the assets into two new scene files to send them, there may be some extraneous information in the original scene which is causing the issue.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 14, 05:57:25 PM »

Bennett, is it possible that this could be another "world dependent" issue, where assets we were exporting and viewing in our worlds were not throwing errors, but then when imported into some HeroCloud users worlds were throwing errors? That's pretty much the only thing left I can think of.

SilverkeyPhilippopoulos

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 14, 07:29:01 AM »

pff. When I export the second asset it only picks up half the animation again.
When viewed in the HE viewer it does show the correct animation. SDK version: 2.9.23.0

Could I have done something wrong with the pipeline somehow while installing it?

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 14, 10:28:18 AM »

Not from what I'm looking at, no, Cooper.  The issue here is apparent even when looking in the viewer and the behavior is consistent from our world to theirs.  Good thought though... Hmmmm...

Let me poke at it some more.  Also, can anyone else reproduce this issue with 2014.2 pipeline?

SilverkeyPhilippopoulos

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 14, 03:33:44 PM »

Quick update. With this new update I managed to make an animated door (opening and closing) on the first try, but when I try to make that damn hook again... I'm starting to believe I am not allowed to make simple hanging hooks  :o

I tried it with a completely new model, but nope.

How's the poking? :D
Pages: [1] 2