HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: 2D Support for Hero Engine?  (Read 1188 times)

HeadClot

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
2D Support for Hero Engine?
« on: May 03, 14, 03:11:37 PM »

Hey everyone,
I am fairly new to the Hero Engine Community. I am a long time lurker that is coming out of hiding. :)

I am wondering if 2D Support is a planned feature for Hero Engine.

I am getting into 2D now opposed to 3D as it is way less expensive and you can get away with alot more if done right.

Thank you for your time,

- Ben

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
Re: 2D Support for Hero Engine?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 14, 03:49:19 PM »

It can be done, certainly. You would work via the GUI system, so you (or someone on your team) would need to become very familiar with that.

I don't believe the Clean Engine itself has a script in it for animating sprites, but I found a script for that in the HJ Ref world called GUIA_Frames that I will attach to this post, with some of my own comments added to it to document how to use it.

One caveat is that I have not used it, so I cannot attest as to whether it works or needs any tweaking.  Otherwise there are numerous sources in books and the internet as to how to render sprites, so with an understanding of HeroScript and the GUI system it would not be hard to adapt sprite code into your own script.  Everything I have read on 2D game programming should work in HeroEngine.

Bear in mind that HeroEngine cannot make offline games; they always require an internet connection, which is something maybe not as common for 2D games.

Attached is the script I salvaged from HJRef, with my own comments.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 14, 04:01:28 PM »

I forgot, to use the script attached above you would need to create a client-side class called GUIA_Frames.
It should have GUIA_Interpolate as parent, and then add the field originalUV to it.  I think that field is built-in.  If not, it is a field of type Vector3.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 14, 09:19:02 PM »

You could, but an engine designed to support 2D graphics is going to be much easier to get off the ground as you are going to have to design every little aspect to get it working.
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation