HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 4064 times)

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Introduction
« on: Jul 24, 11, 02:34:36 AM »

I have been monitoring the forums for quite some time now and it occurred to me while we have been studying, neither I nor any of the rest of the team has introduced themselves to the community. I am not the type of person who wants their first post to be an issue! So here we go:

Hello to the community! I'm Eric.. co-owner of Big Dog Game Studios which is based out of Port Angeles Wa. I am 1 of currently 8 team members, though we are sorting through a few more and hope to gain more talent soon... and all of our team so far is located here in the same area. I am both a programmer and graphics designer, I love having a migraine that large :)

I am not going to change the tone of the post by introducing our current project here. World building begins this week and we will be updating our facebook fans as well as those that follow our websites. I just wanted to clear the air since I know there will be many more questions later, and I hope I will be able to give back to the community as much or more as I take from it :)

Gothrek

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 11, 04:16:49 AM »

well, just my 2 cents, with a big:

welcome!!!]

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 11, 09:33:10 AM »

Welcome to the show. I hope we can get some more introductions going on in here as we ramp things up. Maybe we'll think about a showcase / who you are section of the forum going.

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 11, 11:59:31 PM »

Hello, I would like to introduce myself.

I am the CEO of Storm Enterprises. Like many people who have applied, we anxiously and patiently wait for access to our hero engine world to be opened up. We have been looking at the documentation as well as testing out the engines capabilities using the sandbox. We are still restricted on what we are able to achieve due to the fact that we cannot save our work, nor can we create new scripts and regions. We are very impressed with what we have seen based on what we have been doing in the sandbox. We look forward to a long term business relationship with the Hero Engine team. Our team is very confident that we will be able to make an impressive game based on the engine and documentation that we have seen since we have used many engines in the open source community that are much much worse that this incredible engine that the Hero Engine team is offering. Good Job guys, Keep Up the Good Work. We give a very large Kudos to you.

With Respect,

Byron
Storm Enterprises
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 11, 03:02:43 PM by WoE-Byron »

Ivendar

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 11, 02:52:54 AM »

Hi DragonRift,

just wanted to tell you I've send you a pm so in case it'll not arrive you'll know. If you'd like reply to it ;)

And as Iam already writing here I'll say hello too. Iam the founder of a small hobbyist team located in germany mostly and we've licensed the HeroEngine last year. Unfortunately we've not had much luck about our teammembers and our base team is just around 10 people now. We unfortunately lost some teammembers because of their reallife issues and now we still have to learn the basics, but we're willed to learn. So if there's any teams interested in teaching us and help us getting started we will also help that team as good we can, too. While we're not able to offer much yet, we might still be of help a bit, area design, ideas/opinions, testing or even coding once teached for example (we've got 1-3 guys who'll be able to understand this but need help to get started). We're no company yet and will not be in the next years, so nothing more to tell about. ;) Our teammembers just do this in the free time they have as most also have their jobs, often not even in gaming/computer industries.  People having a passion for games as science-fiction fans are very welcome in our team, too. So if you're willed to learn and work together don't mind to send me a pm if you don't have a team yet. We're also interested in collaboration with other teams if there's any interested.

Cheers
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 11, 04:04:11 AM by Ivendar »

WoE-Byron

• World Owner
  • WoE Online Project Manager
    • View Profile
    • Carbon Studios
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 11, 03:22:40 AM »

Thank you for your private message. I graced you with a response to the message and you can also feel free to stay in touch via private message.

We would also like to welcome anyone else to the Hero Engine forums who may have already started projects or are waiting for credentials before they are able to begin their projects.

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 11, 12:06:29 PM »

Hello to both DragonRift and Ivendar! Way to keep up the introductions!

So if there's any teams interested in teaching us and help us getting started we will also help that team as good we can, too.

As far as a learning curve goes for the game engine, here is just a suggestion that may help. In order to prepare a bit more for coming to HeroEngine, my team watched extensive training videos and did some hands on work before they are able to even dive into the wiki pages.

For scripting, before any of your team goes to learn HSL, I would recommend training videos from http://www.vtc.com/ on first C, then a followup with their C++ findamentals. To cap that off I also recommend the C++ training videos from http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_home.php which is very hands on. Going through these videos will give you a very nice grasp of the basics. After that its just digging in and learning the HSL.

As for using 3DS Max and Maya, it is the same concept. Now our team uses 3DS Max 2010 for the most part (Although we added in 2 new members yesterday who are very efficient with Maya) and I found that the 3DS Max 2010 training videos from http://www.lynda.com/3ds-Max-2010-tutorials/essential-training/47541-2.html were absolutly helpful. The trainer takes you from a base or no knowledge to being able to use the software efficiently.

I hope these ideas help, and if either of you has any more questions then feel free to PM me :)

Surface

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 11, 12:35:58 PM »

Hi everyone,
 ;D

My small team is in a similar boat to y'all - we're just starting out with HE we were looking at both BigWorld Indie and HE and went with HE after the July 20th HC offer - though we were leaning towards it before then.

Currently the Lead Designer and I are about 25% into the design document.  Our particular difficulty is that we've got a cross-border team with folks in US, Morocco and Tunisia and we might be picking up a few people in South America as well - so we're trying to figure out an Art Server setup that will work in this situation.  Currently we're looking at using the Amazon S3 cloud with Gladinet or similar software - anyone have a similiar problem and came up with a working solution?.

Anyway, hopefully in the future we can all help each other with some common solutions to common problems.

Cheers,

Trev

Ivendar

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 11, 12:59:49 PM »

Hey Bigdog ;)

thanks for the nice hints, much appreciated. Our programming guy is knowing C++ good but he'd say it's more like Visual Basic and not like C so he and another teammember who's used only to Aurora Script (Neverwinter Nights) are learning VB since a week now. It's not that they know nothing about programming but the documentation seems to not fit good for us and a problem is to get the start. Iam sure we will be able to solve it if we try for another bunch of months or even a year but for sure someone helping our guys would be the best help we could get. But nowhere to search as there's no big communities for HE yet.

Well 3dsMax and Maya are bad options for us. We're hobbyists no studio and most of us can only use free software like blender. And if they cannot test themself what they create and always have to wait for someone else to export it's no good workflow. Looking forward to hopefully be able to import .obj or other formats in a year or so. I really hope this won't take for too long or that we find more people having that program. Just have one guy who can help us but very barely. But well. There's enough other things we need to do first either. 3dsMax or Maya however are bad options for private funding.

Well our programmers for sure have questions and would be happy to have someone to ask a bit. But that isn't included in the "questions-offer" I suppose ? ;)

Cheers

Surface

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 11, 01:24:42 PM »

Ivendar,

For Maya or 3DS Max - shouldn't be a problem for you to get student version since you're hobbyists.  Just have an artist enroll in the community college equivalent in your country.  I think there is a 13 month free trial or $350 perpetual license for Maya, and I'm sure similiar academic pricing for 3DS Max.

Trev

BigDogGameStudios

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 11, 01:24:52 PM »

Well our programmers for sure have questions and would be happy to have someone to ask a bit. But that isn't included in the "questions-offer" I suppose ? ;)

Sure it is! Even though I too am still learning, I am more then willing to help out where I can... and if I can not, then I can help find the answer :)

Ivendar

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 11, 01:36:03 PM »

Thank you very much BigDog,

will give our guys the info so they can write together some of the questions. :)

And thanks too Surface but that's still an issue. While we're a hobbyist project now and just privates and will be for more years we will not have it to be a full free game once done as we'll be trying to get in the costs. So students version is not the option and isn't it just very special academy allowing this ? Just being student alone would not be enough for what I know about and while we have students in team we have no game- or mediadesign students.