HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Dynamic details shader  (Read 918 times)

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
Dynamic details shader
« on: May 18, 14, 01:58:32 AM »

In the spirit of eliminating all possible bugs in the dynamic detail system , i thought i would bring this up. At first i thought it was my poor attempts to get a good alpha map , but its similar to that tree issue that just got fixed. Is this behavior repeated for anyone else? Or do i just need to get tighter on my alpha maps?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Dynamic details shader
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 14, 02:53:28 PM »

That's actually how alpha blends have always sorted with dynamic detail, never mattered much as you rarely looked through them into the sky. But it could happen on hilltops if you had transparency on. It's not ideal, but per pixel alpha sorting is expensive.

A_White_Guy

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 14, 11:37:36 PM »

Yeah I get this to, it is very terrible in areas like swamps or beaches where you have them in front of water. There has to be some way to atleast make it better, this does not seem to be a common problem that is so painfully obvious in any games that I play nowadays.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 14, 12:16:37 AM »

It would be uncommon to use alpha blending in a dynamic detail system, but can be a great way to make lush looking overlapping ground cover, just can't position it in ways where users will commonly juxtapose it with another alpha blend. When you create your own dynamic detail, you can leave out the alpha blends and not set their alpha below 100 percent.