HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Rigging, joint count.  (Read 2840 times)

von_rocket

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
[Resolved] Rigging, joint count.
« on: Jul 24, 11, 07:04:05 AM »

I'm currently scripting a tool to assist rigging our biped characters in Maya. I would like to keep the number of joints as low as possible and I have a question regarding exporting my rig with a reverse foot setup.

On completing my foot rig, the reverse lock joints are hidden. These joints are only in place to control the rotations of the bound foot joints in the hierarchy and they are connected via constraints.

My question is, as these joints are hidden should they still be added to the number of joints in my rig? Or will these joints be ignored after exporting from Maya?

I'm thinking that essentially they are just control objects (helpers). In which case they do not add to the number of joints in my rig.

Can someone please confirm that I'm on the right track before I continue with my setup.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 12, 03:50:52 PM by HE-Cooper »

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Rigging, joint count.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 11, 12:46:27 AM »

I would recommend not using joints as controllers, use locators or splines. If they are connected to the hierarchy of your root skeleton it is likely they will export as well. I dont think a few extra joints will hurt if you must use them. If they are not connected to the root hierarchy in any way you can just hide them and they will not export. Also be aware the bone influence limit is 4 I believe (3 or 4, it's buried in the wiki somewhere) 3 is more than enough for game res toons.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 11, 12:58:27 AM by info360covers »