HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Vortex as FX  (Read 2729 times)

BlackNoise

• Developers
    • View Profile
Vortex as FX
« on: May 22, 14, 04:23:45 AM »

Hi, everyone! Can I use vortex as FX or this element is only for static usage on the map? I want to shake air after rocket nozzle. In my opinion I might use vortex with some blur texture for this purpose.

feredfn

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Vortex as FX
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 14, 12:36:28 AM »

yeah , you can,...
HJRef also does this ,...  i think you can understand how they added vortex to the FX system if you look at client and server side scripts about it,..

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 14, 10:29:48 AM »

This is true, and something we eventually put in.  However it takes a rather advanced understanding of how the fx editor and the fx themselves work, as well as the gui system.

If you delve into the fx scripts you can find where there is infrastructure in place to add your own icons to the fx task bar.  Then you would need to study how other tasks do their work in terms of which functions they use, along with how vortices are created in script.  Finally you would want to create a gui interface to set the properties of the vortex task, which can be based off of how property guis are made for existing tasks.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to provide more specifics, but if you have a skilled and curious programmer with some time to explore code, it can be figured out.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

nocake

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • BlightMMO
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 14, 02:53:21 PM »

Just off the top of my head, for a simple solution, just add a script to the FX then in that script create the vortex?

Have not looked that into it but that was just how I assumed when I reviewed it briefly.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 14, 05:50:15 PM »

True, nocake, you just would not be able to set properties for the vortex.  But if you just wanted a standard one, that might work.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

BlackNoise

• Developers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 14, 05:14:07 AM »

Thanks for your answers. So maybe vortex doesnt best way to create heated air shaking? Like this
« Last Edit: May 28, 14, 03:27:58 AM by BlackNoise »

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 14, 11:54:33 AM »

if just looking for a bit of a heat blur then probably just get away with a particle effect. If you want the scene rendering behind the effect to get a twisted / twirl / spiral / distorted then vortex would probably be better option.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]