HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: feature request : rotatable pivot  (Read 3441 times)

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
feature request : rotatable pivot
« on: Jun 04, 14, 10:22:46 AM »

I sometimes have a thing for straight lines (like chain link fences) that are made up of smaller pieces , often at a random angle compared to world space. there are 2 choices , build it to world space and then rotate it , which can lead to some unsatisfactory results and is fiddly with lots of meshes , or use the width depth height tool to stretch them out in a straight line , which is time consuming.

What i would like is the ability to rotate the pivot point of a object locally making the whole process very quick and easy. realms of possibilities , or flight of fancy?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: feature request : rotatable pivot
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 14, 10:48:26 AM »

I'm not sure I understand what it is you can't do, but you can toggle between world space and object space. And then object will rotate as individuals or as a whole as the selected group.

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 14, 11:11:28 AM »

sometimes you cannot get quite the right angle with the rotate tool , and there is no type in box  for a group of objects that might not share a common rotation. Its not that i cant get the effect i want with the toolbox as is , i have just often thought "this would be easy if i could just go diagonally" , the extension of this thought is too have any angle of slide available. Maybe a locked movement vector?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 14, 12:40:46 PM »

You mean you have 100 fence pieces grouped together, and now you want to rotate them as a group, which you can do, but neither the rotate tool, nor the snap rotate settings provide the degree of control you need? I don't know what angle of slide means though, so I still night not be understanding.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 14, 02:57:14 PM »

build it to world space and then rotate it

Like Cooper, I am not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do, but if you are talking about rotating a line of fencing around a pivot point that is at one end, you can make that end piece the parent of all of the other pieces.  Then when you rotate that parent mesh, the other rotate relative to it, staying in a straight line.  By that process, you can also explicitly set the rotation value of that parent mesh via the Properties Panel to have more exact control.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 14, 02:58:15 PM »

Yeah that is pretty much it , normally when i am trying to square things up to odd angled roads , and making the white line makings for the center of the roads. even 0.5 degrees can look really bad.

slide in that case is a reference to the pivot tool, currently locked to specific angles , and not providing a local space solution. To put it another way i would like the option of the pivot tool rotated along with the model when its rotated.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 14, 03:00:14 PM by WorldWideZ »

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 14, 03:08:42 PM »

that does help a bit scott , the close control of the parent angle might well work for me.

Thats not to say though that i have changed my mind , i would still like the fine control that my requested feature would give
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 14, 03:40:32 PM by WorldWideZ »

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 14, 01:39:06 PM »

I'm still not sure I understand the missing functionality. Rotate tool is only rotating in world space?

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 14, 02:42:34 PM »

The fine adjustment of my road makings and fences is currently carried out with the scale tool , which is fiddly to get right , and the pivot tool that is fairly useless at this job. I would like to be able to rotate the pivot tool , or have one aligned to the model so that i can move the piece left or right without resizing. Maybe i am just being lazy :P

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 14, 03:34:28 PM »

Well, fine adjustment you would do in the properties panel, but the last sentence:

I would like to be able to rotate the pivot tool, or have one aligned to the model so that i can move the piece left or right without resizing.

Still is lost on me. I'm actually so lost I don't know how to ask a proper question. It sounds like you are talking about that the pivot tools moves and resizes, but there must be a syntactical thing confusing me.

FI-ScottZ

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Forever Interactive, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 14, 04:18:39 PM »

have one aligned to the model so that i can move the piece

Attched is the image of the Space toggle button Cooper mentioned; did you try that?  When it is switched to Local Space it will have the move arrows aligned to the selection.
Scott Zarnke
Lead Programmer, Visions of Zosimos
CTO, Forever Interactive, Inc.

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 14, 04:55:43 PM »

Dude thats awesome , i have never noticed that before , thanks so much :D copper it seems i never learned to read properly yet thanks for being patient :D

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 14, 07:04:56 PM »

Ah, that explains everything.

World building without using world space and object space would indeed be frustrating.

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #13 on: Jun 08, 14, 12:01:21 AM »

Cant do without this now! However i have noticed something strange with the local space rotate tool , when you hover the blue circle the red one is highlighted (and when clicked moves on the red axis) and vise versa for the red circle.

Edit : seems a bit of a on / off bug , sometimes its absolutely fine, sometimes its just where they get close together , and other times completely off. i have not found a exact repro yet.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 14, 12:10:01 AM by WorldWideZ »