HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Open source?  (Read 3016 times)

creativityheaven

• World Owners
    • View Profile
Open source?
« on: Jun 02, 14, 01:54:03 PM »

Obviously making HE2 entirely open source would be a stupid idea. But would IF ever consider making the repository browser open source?

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
Re: Open source?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 14, 03:17:29 PM »

We don't currently have any plans to release the source code for the repository to HeroCloud devs.

creativityheaven

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 14, 04:23:25 PM »

You know, if you opened up just a little bit of it, maybe the community could cook up something much more powerful and convenient. Like a command line tool for converting and then uploading assets.

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 14, 04:32:20 PM »

Are you trying to do something specific with it? We've been using it for over a year now, and it performs extremely well, and is a fast way of getting assets into the engine.
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 14, 05:59:34 PM »

Actually the reason why we wouldn't be interested in providing source to a major toolset has nothing to do with openness, and everything to do with support burdens and headaches. :-) Uploading assets to the repository browser is incredibly easy. There is both an automatic sync ability, as well as mass drag and drop. If you want to pick something to complain about lack of open source that might help a game get finished, I would start with low hanging fruit like lack of a GUI based shader tool. :-)

JoshHalls

• Founding Professional
    • View Profile
    • The Repopulation
« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 14, 10:42:26 PM »

Actually the reason why we wouldn't be interested in providing source to a major toolset has nothing to do with openness, and everything to do with support burdens and headaches. :-) Uploading assets to the repository browser is incredibly easy. There is both an automatic sync ability, as well as mass drag and drop. If you want to pick something to complain about lack of open source that might help a game get finished, I would start with low hanging fruit like lack of a GUI based shader tool. :-)

Where is my GUI based shader tool?

While support issues come into play, I imagine there are licensing issues as well with some things that make it a bit harder even if they wanted to as the licensing cost would be prohibitive unless they could get the 3rd party to wave them in lieu of some other agreement.
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 14, 10:45:45 PM by JoshHalls »
Co-Owner/Programmer - The Repopulation

creativityheaven

• World Owners
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 14, 04:22:25 PM »

I'd be very interested in having a repository browser that automatically converts and manages assets. Like, if you upload a .3ds file, the browser would automatically convert it to .hgm locally, automatically convert the textures to .dds locally, upload both the .hgm file and the .dds file, and resolve any material redefinition conflicts. Also, maybe, it could minimize or eliminate duplicate assets. Say, if 3 different models use the same .dds texture file, the repository browser would ensure that only 1 .dds file is present.

HE-Cooper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 14, 04:37:57 PM »

Those are all, well, interesting ideas, but I think if you look at what actual human decision making has to happen with those steps, then you'll realize that trying to shave 10 seconds is going to cost you hours.

If it was your passion, and your specific project never had to make any decisions about materials or models or textures or animations, with 12 months and some elbow grease you could probably write a tool that did all of that locally and then just synced your local directory with the repository. But I personally think it will cause you more headaches than good.