HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Character Animation Limits  (Read 1714 times)

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
Character Animation Limits
« on: Jun 29, 14, 10:38:08 AM »

How many Fknobs is too many? if 100's of people have 8 fknobs , will it unduly load the engine?
are there limits on the amount of channels we can put in?
how many rotate bone asq's can we have running per character?
Anything else we should take into consideration during our ASQ/AAS/ACCC overhaul?

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
Re: Character Animation Limits
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 14, 10:04:29 AM »

If someone has specific experience with an extremely complex character setup, they might be able to give some gross approximations, but this is another case of welllllll, it depends.  It's very difficult to test such a thing, because based on how much ELSE is in the area, your performance will be affected. 

Suffice to say, you should attempt to make the character only as complex as is necessary to convey the desired motion.  What are the various things you are using fknobs and rotate bone asqs for?

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 14, 12:29:11 AM »

currently we are using 4 fknobs. One controls the angle of the lower right arm to aim the gun in first person mode as the camera tilts so is updated per frame. One is the responsible for twisting the spine during strafing , and the remaining two twist the upper right arm depending on the combination of strafe left or right with back or forward.

Also we were wondering about the aas , is it better to have complex or simple code in them , as we could do most of the decision making in HSL but currently its about 50/50 between the two.   

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 14, 12:39:24 AM »

those seem fine, and make sense to have. As bennett points out try and keep it to just what you need, and make sure there is a reason to have it. In your case those are perfect reasons to have it as trying to get a set animation to make that happen wouldn't work well. Or would be challenging to say.

As far as put it in the AAS or in script. I always look at it as both are scripts. I try and keep as much animation control logic as I can in the AAS. And focus my HSL to just be the input and character driving logic. Just to create a clean seperation between the two.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it matter either way.
So a bit of a preference. Bennett feel free to let us know otherwise.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

HE-BENNETT

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 14, 09:18:38 AM »

Creating a clean separation is best.  I tend to do the majority of the interpretation in the controller and leave the simple logic of "This input, plus this input, plus this input means run this sequence!" to the AAS.

The more computationally expensive the logic is, the better suited it would be for the controller.