HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Buying 3d models from indie artists  (Read 1439 times)

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
Buying 3d models from indie artists
« on: Jun 29, 14, 11:34:59 AM »

Hi!

Let's say i found an indie person who'd be willing to make and sell me some 3d models and i pay him via paypal. In a hypothetical(but unlikely) situation where i start earning money... would i be able to prevent this person from trying to milk some of that money by claiming i stole his art? How would i prove that i paid for that art? How does that work in general?

MsSarrene

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Triad Game Studios, LLC.
Re: Buying 3d models from indie artists
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 14, 11:55:38 AM »

A lot really depends on what you have in your agreement, if you have one. Best thing is to work out some sort of written agreement that you both sign (digital signatures are fine) and have him email it to your email address. (keep a copy of that in your email).

As far as payment goes; Since you are using paypal you have proof of your transaction. You can also put in the payment notes, what the payment was for, and additional information, such as if this is considered a final sale, etc. I am not sure how this would work for a personal paypal, but we have such things set up for sales and purchases in our business paypal.

You can contact paypal and see what requirements or rights you have. Different countries have different laws as well. So you really need to check with the country you are in as well.

Best practice for similar situations:
    Work out terms with the party you are doing business with.
    Get as much as you can in writing
    Have the agreement if both parties agree and sign, sent to your email, not over skype, and save that agreement.
    Make sure payment states the use and purpose (paypal is good for this)

There are a lot more to the list. But main thing is to make sure you both know what the purpose and use is for.

Now, if you are expecting to own exclusive rights to that art, that is something different. Though from talking to you, I presume you would not want that.

I am sure others have other suggestion and ideas for you as well. But this is what I know off hand.

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: Buying 3d models from indie artists
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 14, 01:09:33 AM »

As Sarrene points out it's all about the paper trail.

Make sure it's taken care of before the money transaction happens as well. As post paper work tends to not hold up as well.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]