HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: new interface transparent to mouse events  (Read 2022 times)

Maldris

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
new interface transparent to mouse events
« on: Jul 16, 14, 05:14:55 AM »

I recently created a new interface to service our new trading system, I implemented enough background code to do a functional test and built it.

However, upon doing do I am unable to interact with the ui in any way, nothing responds, and I have confirmed that I am generating mouse events for things behind the ui in the game world (I had a println statement running whenever mousing over another player, as this was part of how the ui was invoked, the println continued to output as I moused over the ui where the other player was behind)

I've had issues in the past where individual buttons did this, but not the whole ui. I've gone through and checked that the root ui level isn't ignoring mouse events, and neither are the other elements that need to be the subject. I'm at a loss as to what I have done wrong, could anyone pass on any advice?

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
Re: new interface transparent to mouse events
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 14, 07:42:34 AM »

Probably not related to your problem, but i did notice that if the gui dxt3 texture has transparency(alpha) value lower than a certain number (i belive it is somewhere around 20), that gui control won't receive any mouse events.

Maldris

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 14, 07:53:04 AM »

not related but I do know that there is a parameter to control that, I believe its in the first 5 cells under texture in the gui editor. played with that when I was getting started

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 14, 07:15:31 PM »

I have noticed that if a UI element like a panel or window covers the entire screen (perhaps set by FILL in dockmode), that it can keep the others from being seen underneath it.

Maldris

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 14, 01:52:48 AM »

There wasn't any other ui on the screen when I was testing, I checked in the elements and the only one that are listed as fill are hte background elements to the ui, still cant click on any ui elements.

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 14, 07:10:46 PM »

If the elements are all on the same layer, the last one created will be on top. If an element is on a higher layer it will be on top. If the UI using FILL is on top, no elements under it will be accessible.

When checking the UI elements on screen, if you check using control T to toggle the tooltips of those elements, there are some that will not show up in the list. One is the panel, another is label. There might be others also, but those 2 will not show up.

Maldris

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 14, 07:23:56 PM »

sorry, I hadnt understood entirely what you meant the first time, I do now.

However, that still does not help. the trade interface is the only one I invoked and was the last I did so.
The only other interfaces open are the clean engine ones, which were invoked prior.

I have some free time this morning, I have some other fixes to make that wont take long, but I may just scrap the UI and reimplement it from scratch, has an annoying frequency of working for me when things like this happen.

Maldris

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 14, 10:44:12 PM »

rebuilding it form scratch appears to have worked for now, which is annoying as it is identical in structure. Oh well.

Ill let you know if any similar problems crop up while I finish debugging its functionality.