HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: crash didn't offer me to send a bug report  (Read 2077 times)

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
Re: crash didn't offer me to send a bug report
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 14, 10:04:31 PM »

it is fault tolerant,

but fault tolerant versus end user custom poorly written code are two different things.

Fault tolerant is more regarding / commenting that the server won't crash and burn cause your client blew up. Thusly it's not bring the whole server down, just your client.

But that is splitting hairs.

The main point is you always have to safe guard what the player is doing. Especially if you know it should be generating a known error, which really isn't an error. Your making a call to a currently non-existing node. Then allowing that spam to happen.

it has nothing to do with it being a teleport aspect.

But here are two things, you say it doesn't generate a crash report. Which means your computer dropped the heroblade, not the heroblade failing for some reason.
If heroblade was crashing it would be spawning error logs. So it's more likely a problem with a memory overload on your machine. It becomes more noticable when teleporting cause as I mentioned Heroblade runs up a ton of resource calls on any area change. Have you tried it in just the player client to see if you can replicate the error?

I still think it won't happen in the player client, and it's just a heroblade transition overload, cause of the spam. You said it yourself it doesn't fail every time anyways, and you can only get it to do it some times.

If it happens in the player client then I will be more likely to stand up with you and say, perhaps we change a bit of how transitions happen. So let me know.

Cause heroblade and player client very different setups, well very different area transitioning scenarios.
[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

HE-HERB

• HeroEngine
    • View Profile
    • HeroEngine
« Reply #16 on: Sep 02, 14, 11:15:54 AM »

No crashes are acceptable.  We'll investigate

Cheers
herb marselas
graphics guy

AWW_boss

• General Accounts
  • gdfgd
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 02, 14, 12:12:31 PM »

This is wonderful. Even if you don't find anything because i am very aware that these kind of faults are hard to reproduce, and even harder to track, as a customer, i am very satisfied with the mindset. :)

Thanks

keeperofstars

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • StarKeeper Online
« Reply #18 on: Sep 02, 14, 09:41:49 PM »

I'm glad to hear they are looking into it, but... would you mind still testing it with just the player client and see if it still happens. Will probably help the HE devs better focus if they can see if it's a HB issue or general crash all around.

[img]http://screencast.com/t/x7btcSSyp3h0[\img]

Thazager

• General Accounts
  • Never stop learning
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains MMORPG
« Reply #19 on: Sep 02, 14, 11:57:09 PM »

In server side script _externalFunctions:

// Causes the area to crash.
// If HOW is true, the crash is an access violation.
// if HOW is false, the crash is an unhandled C++ exception.
external function CrashIfYouCanPlease( how as Boolean )

Guessing this might cause a crash.
Pages: 1 [2]