HeroEngine Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or Register for HeroCloud Account.

Author Topic: Grass Density Discussion  (Read 1507 times)

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
Grass Density Discussion
« on: Sep 11, 14, 03:10:11 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QM2DhfItMU

That's some quite heavy use of dynamic details for the grass - how's the performance been in those areas?

EDIT: I put in a link to the original video.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 14, 05:31:16 PM by Amanda_Brooks »
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

jcsmith562

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
Re: Grass Density Discussion
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 14, 08:08:02 AM »

There's a hit with it but it isn't huge. It's all configurable. We have configuration options for the range and density. I'll run some metrics for you really quick in the same area that was shown in the video. This is in HeroBlade not in the player client, the frame rate would be higher in the client but I'd guess the ratio gained or lost would be similar. My viewport size atm in Blade is 1618x951, other settings are pretty much all cranked to max with dynamic shadows enabled.

With grass distance and density set to Max I'm at roughly: 96 fps.
With grass distance and density set to Medium I'm at roughly: 104 fps.
With grass disabled I'm at roughly: 109 fps.

There is some trick though to the dynamic details where if you do it wrong the frame rate will plummet. Stadi's grass is never laggy, but one of the other world editors a while back did an area and I was crawling to really low frame rates, it had to do with how he had set up the dynamic details. Maybe Stadi can chime in one that one, but there was a trick to that.

Stadi_Thompson

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 14, 01:12:12 PM »

We keep the brush opacity at 50% or below, and the Density, fairly low when painting dynamic. The reason being is in the player client options panel you can turn up the grass density, so no need paint it dense in the blade. Also Dynamic detail is distance based so never really has much of a hit if you lay it down conservatively.

Amanda_Brooks

• General Accounts
    • View Profile
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 14, 12:24:48 PM »

Is putting a grass density setting into the player options menu something that would need the source license?
"Heroes and Villains" - www.heroes-and-villains.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
Twitter: @Plan_Z_Studios

WorldWideZ

• World Owners
    • View Profile
    • World Wide Zed
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 14, 07:13:27 PM »

no its just a client side graphics option , just like dynamic detail view distance , far clip plane , near clip plane , tree LOD ranges , Asset LOD ranges , shadows etc. all can be configured on the client through a external function (there is one to return a list of the options)